Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would advancing the timing 2 degrees help gain some hp ive heard that it does this is on an h22a1

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
yes, but you would also risk damaging your engine, especially if you dont use the proper octane fuel for the new setting.

and i saw your dyno chart, and you're already pretty darn lean as it is, so advancing the timing 2 degrees could cause a pretty horrible death to your motor combined with that already lean fuel mixture

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
why would you do that when the tuner can do all the adjusting. Leave it alone.
x2^

tuning the car includes changing the timing at all throttle positions and manifold pressures seperately. you dont want the distributor to get touched at all.
in fact, when tuning, you always have to set the distributor to stock base timing anyway before the tuning process starts. that way after the car is tuned, if anything is ever done to the distributor or anything else that throws the timing off, the owner can then just set the distributor back to stock base timing as if the car was still stock, and know that the tune is still correct. altering the distributor timing will screw the tune up to all holy hell

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
but im talking changing the timing on the cam gears i read it in a book and have heard about it but from what i understand is you change the timing on the cam gears for some reason

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
but im talking changing the timing on the cam gears i read it in a book and have heard about it but from what i understand is you change the timing on the cam gears for some reason
ah, ok, thats a whole different thing.
its different with every car. some like it best set one way, others like it best set a different way, even with identical setups. the only way to set it properly is to do testing on a dyno

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
well how hard is it to change it on the dyno well im there?
very easy if you cut out the valve cover and timing cover to expose the lock bolts.
otherwise you have to remove the valve cover and timing cover every time you want to make an adjustment.
and you have to re-set the ignition timing with a timing light every time you adjust the exhaust cam

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is the hondata the same price if i pick it up when i come in for a tune and does it come with the software for a labtop so i can make some adjustments?

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
is the hondata the same price if i pick it up when i come in for a tune and does it come with the software for a labtop so i can make some adjustments?
like $15 cheaper if you pick it up instead of having me ship it.

and yes it does come with software, but you do not want to make any adjustments yourself, leave that to a professional tuner. one wrong change and you could watch your pistons fly out in several directions.

once i tune the car (if i tune the car) you wouldnt ever need to make any adjustments anyway, unless its an air temp compensation change, but you need a wideband and the knowledge on how to do it to have it be correct and not blow the motor sky high

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i just want to change the launch settings thats all i want to do my self can you call me my # is 603-313-5591

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
i just want to change the launch settings thats all i want to do my self can you call me my # is 603-313-5591
i dont have a house phone lol, and my cell gets crappy service here at the house. and when im not home im usually pretty busy, at least the last few months i have been. best bet is talking on here or in pm, or on aim or yahoo messenger

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
How long does it usually take you to dyno tune an N/A car?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so are the cam gears a good idea or are they a waste of money and do you know where i ca get a used set of type s cams and ill dyno my car with you but it will have to wait till salts off the road and if i do the 5 hours can i bring another car just to pull whp numbers or is that extra? if i dont use the whole 5 hours on my prelude

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
so are the cam gears a good idea or are they a waste of money and do you know where i ca get a used set of type s cams and ill dyno my car with you but it will have to wait till salts off the road and if i do the 5 hours can i bring another car just to pull whp numbers or is that extra? if i dont use the whole 5 hours on my prelude
we'd have to talk about more in detail when the time comes, because dyno tuning and street tuning are two different things, done in different locations, and are seperate costs.

as for the cam gears, personally i dont really think they are worth it. you can squeek a bit more power out of the engine with them, but for the cost of buying the gears and the extra tuning time involved to actually get them set to where they do gain power where you want it, it really isnt worth the total cost. there's other things you could spend the money on that would gain more power than what gears can get

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
me personally, usually 2 or 3 hours, depending on the setup and if its non-vtec or vtec. highly modded vtec engines can take more than 3 hours
How much is dyno tuning? Your thread says $75 + your cut. How much is your cut? Just curious.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
what other things are cheap and gain power and before i tune do i need a fuel regulater and im not talking tuning the other car im just talking of pulling dyno numbers and my dad wants to know if you can find a way to tune his 94 saturn sl2 it has alot of work done to it and a 100 shot of nos

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
How much is dyno tuning? Your thread says $75 + your cut. How much is your cut? Just curious.
i'll have to edit that somehow lol.
my cut varies haha. new cost is $100/hour for dyno usage plus my cut, which is usually 40-50/hour.
i usually say $150/hour for dyno tuning, which covers dyno usage and my fees, but sometimes i only charge $130-$140/hour depending how long it takes and how easy it is, and if i have to work on the car in any way before, during, or after tuning

1 - 20 of 27 Posts