Honda Prelude Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey everyone,

Im in a world of hurt right now. I own a 92 prelude with a f22b dohc engine. Today I had my car on jack stands and replace a heater hose which was leaking antifreeze everywhere. While i was under the hood, i looked around just to see what the hell was under there. I saw a loose rubber seal for my timing belt lower cover, so i inspected it further. Didnt seem damaged at the time just a lil worn out i guess. not really sure. so i turned my car on to check to see if the heater hose was fixed and wasnt leaking anymore. at that point oil was pouring out like crazy and i immediatly turned off my car. After i cleaned up the oil puddle on the ground. I went back under to see WTF. and no shit it was the timing belt lower cover rubber seal. it was completely open to where i can see inside.

My question is what tools am i going to need to remove everything to get to the rubber seal to replace it? I understand its going to take forever to do. and that im going to have to remove a lot of shit to get to it, just dont know exactly what though.

ok heres the rubber seal that im talking about:

is there anything else that i should replace while im taking everything apart just to be sure nothing else is going to fuck up??

OR should i just say fuck it and take it to a shop where they'll charge an arm and a leg to fix??? :mad:
I had the same problem where did you end up buying all the gaskets?

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you're having oil leak out, the problem is NOT just a bad gasket on the timing belt cover. That cover just protects your timing belt from grime. If you are leaking oil, its coming from an engine seal behind the cover. Could be cam shaft seals, oil pump, front main seal. You have to pull the cover to see where you're leaking. If you just seal up the timing cover, you wont see the leak but it will still be ocurring internally. If the oil gets on your timing belt, the rubber will soften, eventually your timing belt will fail and you'll bend a few exhaust valves when it happens. You have a significant repair currently but if you ignore that leak you'll end up with a major repair and have to pull your head. The timing belt seals are almost cosmetic, thats not your main problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you're having oil leak out, the problem is NOT just a bad gasket on the timing belt cover. That cover just protects your timing belt from grime. If you are leaking oil, its coming from an engine seal behind the cover. Could be cam shaft seals, oil pump, front main seal. You have to pull the cover to see where you're leaking. If you just seal up the timing cover, you wont see the leak but it will still be ocurring internally. If the oil gets on your timing belt, the rubber will soften, eventually your timing belt will fail and you'll bend a few exhaust valves when it happens. You have a significant repair currently but if you ignore that leak you'll end up with a major repair and have to pull your head. The timing belt seals are almost cosmetic, thats not your main problem.
Great that awnsers a lot of questions thank you. Is there an easy way to pull out the cover from under the car?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not easy. You pull the front driver wheel, remove splash guard, i think you also have to remove the crank pulley bolt and harmonic balancer which means the power steering and alternator belts too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not easy. You pull the front driver wheel, remove splash guard, i think you also have to remove the crank pulley bolt and harmonic balancer which means the power steering and alternator belts too.
Thanks.Anything important to remember while doing so

·
Registered
9 Posts
Crank pulley bolt is a bitch if never removed. Wouldn't budge with 700 ftlb impact wrench. I think its a 27mm bolt. Need half inch breaker and a long pipe. And when it lets go there will be a loud crack sound where you'll think you sheared the bolt. I used an long extension from the breaker to the bolt, with a jack stand under the extension to keep it inline with the bolt while i stood on the pipe extending from the breaker bar. You tube has videos.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Crank pulley bolt is a bitch if never removed. Wouldn't budge with 700 ftlb impact wrench. I think its a 27mm bolt. Need half inch breaker and a long pipe. And when it lets go there will be a loud crack sound where you'll think you sheared the bolt. I used an long extension from the breaker to the bolt, with a jack stand under the extension to keep it inline with the bolt while i stood on the pipe extending from the breaker bar. You tube has videos.
Hey and when taking the crank pulley bolt loosing is clockwise right ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
No, standard threading. Lefty loosey. Anti clockwise. You will need to hold the crank pulley with a special tool, or have a 1/2 inch impact gun capable of 900 ft lbs. Check out you tube video by Eric the car guy: "how to remove honda crank bolts".

21 - 28 of 28 Posts