Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Im in a world of hurt right now. I own a 92 prelude with a f22b dohc engine. Today I had my car on jack stands and replace a heater hose which was leaking antifreeze everywhere. While i was under the hood, i looked around just to see what the hell was under there. I saw a loose rubber seal for my timing belt lower cover, so i inspected it further. Didnt seem damaged at the time just a lil worn out i guess. not really sure. so i turned my car on to check to see if the heater hose was fixed and wasnt leaking anymore. at that point oil was pouring out like crazy and i immediatly turned off my car. After i cleaned up the oil puddle on the ground. I went back under to see WTF. and no shit it was the timing belt lower cover rubber seal. it was completely open to where i can see inside.

My question is what tools am i going to need to remove everything to get to the rubber seal to replace it? I understand its going to take forever to do. and that im going to have to remove a lot of shit to get to it, just dont know exactly what though.

ok heres the rubber seal that im talking about:

is there anything else that i should replace while im taking everything apart just to be sure nothing else is going to fuck up??

OR should i just say fuck it and take it to a shop where they'll charge an arm and a leg to fix??? :mad:

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
could be, i forgot about that, either that or balance shaft seals, i posted it on our local boards

if its front main it requires oil pump removal, if its the balance shaft seals i don't think you need to remove the pump

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
the seal that's circled does NOT stop oil from coming out. The oi is coing from a seal behind there. You'll need to get the cover off to see exactly where its coming from and then go from there

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
these pictures are from the driverside behind the block underneath the intake manifold, if you can tell...

where my finger is at is where the rubber seal lost its seal or broke off.

heres some more pics..

·
Registered
986 Posts
the seal that's circled does NOT stop oil from coming out. The oi is coing from a seal behind there. You'll need to get the cover off to see exactly where its coming from and then go from there
^^ Exactly what he said. There are lots of seals underneath the lower timing cover which hold in oil (cams, crank, balance shaft) which could be leaking. You'll need to take off the crank pulley, and take off the lower timing cover to take a look.

Edit: Actually, wait. Is that oil coming from the black tube thing in the pics? I can't tell wtf that is.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so what tools do I need to take everything off and how long will it take? Or should I just take it to a damn shop?
Posted via Mobile

·
Registered
986 Posts
Just take it to a shop. To get in there, you'll need to remove the crank pulley which is probably torqued to 180 lb/ft.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
take it to a shop?? Am I the only one whose not afraid to dive head first into my car to fix stuff? Damn!
You'l need a 19mm socket, and a half inch bearker bar. Something to wedge the flywheel so the motor doesn't spin as you try to loosen your crank pully bolt. (its the TIGHTEST bolt on the entire car!!!)
10mm, 12mm, 14mm sockets and wrenches (deep sockets are always good to have) and various 3/8" extensions.
99prelude_sh: If the oil wascoming from the black pipe, there'd be serious problems. That pipe contains coolant. It runs from the thermostat housing to the water pump so its HIGHLY unlikely for oil to come from it.
to the OP: if your not mechanically inclined and/or don't have somebody that is that could help/supervise, a shop (while expensive) could be your safest bet. But if you wanna learn (as some of us do), by all means go for it. Alot of my knowledge comes from me jumping in over my head and figuring it out as I go with the help of others as needed.

·
Registered
986 Posts
h23bb2, I agree with you 100%. I'm just sayin it's a lot of work and not everyone is down for it. "Diving" into the engine isn't easy for someone without experience. Good advice though.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
it shouldnt be that hard. take the pully off and i think there are like 5 10mm bolts there. 2 of them are kinda hard to get off but besides that it should just pop off.

·
Registered
319 Posts
that seal just keeps the dust and dirt out, you can still drive it, seal it up the next time you do a timing belt or water pump maintenance

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
let me know if u need help i just did the job 3 times....... first time out of the car 2nd in the car and 3rd in the car lol. its not too bad well at least with a h22 i could do my timing in less than a hour.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
its probably the most difficult Honda (4cyl) to do a Timing Belt on, but do it once or twice and you can pretty much do it like Tizzawowack said: In an hour or so....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so what parts can I use to replace them?? I'm taking it to a shop and they don't know anything about f22's. Can I use h23 parts to replace everything?? Or h22 parts?
Posted via Mobile

·
I Miss My BB2 :'(
3,589 Posts
Ok so what parts can I use to replace them?? I'm taking it to a shop and they don't know anything about f22's. Can I use h23 parts to replace everything?? Or h22 parts?
Posted via Mobile
im pretty sure you would use f22 parts cuz thats all the DOHC f22 block is anyway. just like my project. i have an h23 head on an f22 block and all im making is a DOHC f22 (F22B) so we basicly have the same engine

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did a Timing Belt change on 92 prelude. Rubber gasket doesnt really do anything but keep dust out. on the other hand the oil leaked needs to be stopped.

·
Registered
10 Posts
that seal just keeps the dust and dirt out, you can still drive it, seal it up the next time you do a timing belt or water pump maintenance
hey, I just ran into the same issue with my 00’ prelude. Every time I turn it over oil pours out of the same area this whole thread is talking about, same issue. Do you know what that gasket is called? Would I be able to do a temporary sealant go over? Stuck atm.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hey, I just ran into the same issue with my 00’ prelude. Every time I turn it over oil pours out of the same area this whole thread is talking about, same issue. Do you know what that gasket is called? Would I be able to do a temporary sealant go over? Stuck atm.
I imagine not

1 - 20 of 30 Posts