Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’m not sure if anyone even still uses this forum anymore but it’s worth a shot. I just bought a 98 SH, i did all the usual tune up work when buying an older used car (spark plugs, spark plug wires, oil change, coolant flush, ETC)
And since I bought it it’s had a ticking problem which at first I didn’t notice when I looked at the car. But after driving it around for about 2 weeks I can really notice it and it gets louder when accelerating and you can hear it at idle. I’ve tried a new exhaust manifold gasket (thinking it was an exhaust leak) I even adjusted my valves and the ticking continues. Any advice?

·
Administrator
6,548 Posts
Is it by chance coming from the timing cover? Could be a bad tensioner or idler within. Most of the time it's just a bad lost motion assembly within the head.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it by chance coming from the timing cover? Could be a bad tensioner or idler within. Most of the time it's just a bad lost motion assembly within the head.
As far as I can tell it sounds like it’s coming from under the valve cover? Definitely closer to the part of the cover where the timing belt is. I haven’t looked to see it the ticking could be coming from the tensioner. But the ticking is very audible in idle and even louder as the rpm increase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good chance that it might need a valve adjustment. Check any records you may or may not have for the last time one was completed, as your lash my be all kerfuckety. If there’s no records I’d seek a good private shop, they’ll be able to do a proper job/diagnosis.

atleast it’s not bottom-endy!

·
Registered
33 Posts
What Disgruntled says - sounds very much like valve float "kerfluckety." Checking your valve lash is not difficult, but you will need quality gauges, and more importantly, the specifications for your model and year.
Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What Disgruntled says - sounds very much like valve float "kerfluckety." Checking your valve lash is not difficult, but you will need quality gauges, and more importantly, the specifications for your model and year.
Good luck.
If I remember, the valve lash spec is on an underhood sticker.

OP mentioned doing a valve adjustment already, but I agree, would double check the valve lash with the right tools and make sure it meets the spec.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the feed back gents! I gave it a shot and after a few google searches and videos on how to do it. I gave three hours of my day to do it. But the problem continues....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you for posting back your findings - if you can, borrow an engine stethoscope - it is just like the one you see at the doc's office, but with a probe at the end. Use this to narrow down the source at the valve cover. Also, just for @#*!s & Giggles, probe your fuel pressure regulator. I feel pretty sure your valve train is doing the nasty somewhere, but it could be something entirely innocent like the FPR. If you can rule these out, then think back to whether you have had any heating problems or something related - may be your water pump. I cannot tell from all the posts whether the frequency of the ticking is increasing with the engine RPMs, since you have said only that the ticking gets louder - if the frequency is increasing - i.e., the ticking is getting faster the more your rev the engine (not just louder), then it is a)the valve train - valves, followers, and related components, or b)something in the belts, c)water pump, or d)crankshaft and pistons. Hard to say without hearing the noise directly. If it were the pistons and/or crank the sound would be a sort of knock that you never forget, and would recognize instantly, so I would be inclined to rule that out, from your description. if you are not seeing any coolant leaks under the car, and no cooling problems, I would have to rule that out as well This leaves only the valve train and the regulator. My suspicion is that there is some component or components in the valve train that are either worn or out of adjustment - at best. Let us know what you find out.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for posting back your findings - if you can, borrow an engine stethoscope - it is just like the one you see at the doc's office, but with a probe at the end. Use this to narrow down the source at the valve cover. Also, just for @#*!s & Giggles, probe your fuel pressure regulator. I feel pretty sure your valve train is doing the nasty somewhere, but it could be something entirely innocent like the FPR. If you can rule these out, then think back to whether you have had any heating problems or something related - may be your water pump. I cannot tell from all the posts whether the frequency of the ticking is increasing with the engine RPMs, since you have said only that the ticking gets louder - if the frequency is increasing - i.e., the ticking is getting faster the more your rev the engine (not just louder), then it is a)the valve train - valves, followers, and related components, or b)something in the belts, c)water pump, or d)crankshaft and pistons. Hard to say without hearing the noise directly. If it were the pistons and/or crank the sound would be a sort of knock that you never forget, and would recognize instantly, so I would be inclined to rule that out, from your description. if you are not seeing any coolant leaks under the car, and no cooling problems, I would have to rule that out as well This leaves only the valve train and the regulator. My suspicion is that there is some component or components in the valve train that are either worn or out of adjustment - at best. Let us know what you find out.
Good Luck.
Really appreciate the response! I never even thought the check the FPR! I have been trying to narrow it down and rule out any possible components that maybe be worn or broken. I haven’t had anything seriously wrong with the car since I bought it. However it did have an over heating issue. I solved that but replacing my thermostat and flushing my cooling system. Since then, I still have a very very slight overheating issue. Almost as if one of my fan switches might be going out or a possible sensor that monitors the temperature. Seems as if the fans kick on just a little too late as the needle begins to go over just the half way mark on my temperature gauge. But shortly after, the fan turns on and the temperature drops to the normal operating temperature. Aside from that, I have no coolant leaks what so ever, always a dry driveway. As for the frequency of said “ticking” it seems to remain the same regardless of RPM just increases in noise. Most definitely does not sound like a knock. I’m sure that would be easier to differentiate between ticking and knocking. I have a long weekend starting today so I’ll definitely be able to dive into the valve train. I’ll check the FPR beforehand just for the giggles. What should I be looking for when inspecting the FPR? Another Audible tick?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts