Honda Prelude Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Hmm weird. Well now you have a part number. I wonder if you could put washers on top of the seal to sandwich the seal in behind the cover washer. Just a thought but might not even be nesasarry.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
You could probably use washers on top of the seal but the shaft had a nice shiny spot there the old seal rode. I wanted the new seal lip to contact the shaft at the same point. I was thinking of using a spacer UNDER the new seal but there are lubrication holes back there and I didn't want to take a chance of blocking them.

Now, I'm wondering what seal is in my distributor..

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Is it a Nok seal?

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
You can push it in part way, they don't have to be fully seated.
It is important that they are seated square with the shaft though.

If you go to a seal/bearing company outlet with the part number they should be able to hook you up with the exact same seal.
Thats what i'm going to do when i get around to replacing mine.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Yes.. I think I will do just that. It's not that difficult to take that thing apart. The most difficult part for me was getting the circlip out. My circlip pliers work opposite way for this so instead of squeezing the handles together, I was prying the handles apart. :turn::turn::turn: I'm sure you have the correct type.

I think getting the seals online is somewhat of a crapshoot because they don't show the NOK seal number. They show their own part number which is meaningless.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
yeah your right. Lost internet for over an hour today then had to go settup my dad's garage sale find, pressurized tank sand blaster. Had the wrong quick connect and half the fittings were standard wrench size and the other metric real pita. Good news is I got my downpipe blasted. For the N2 header. It had some deep rust on it.

But yeah when I was rereading those seals online everybody had the same part number and it wasn't the nok # I did find the website for NOK but it wasn't that much help. Its a parent company in germany.

To me the biggest problem I had was prying those damn rotors loose. It just took some time and patientce

If I was going to assume which is normally not a very good idea lol It might be that all 88-89's are your part number not sure. I don't think my 91 had any extra depth for a taller seal. Ofcourse its been 3 years. I am pretty sure I have a spare cylinder sensor somewhere that could quite possibly be from an 88-89. As there are usually a hell of lot more of those at the local u pull it. If I find it I will take it apart and see which seal it has.

Atleast this should work great for now as long as you got it in square. Much better than leaving you high and dry.

·
Careless Cruisin'
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yup - those seals fit perfectly in both the distributor and cylinder sensor. Internal ones, and external ones. Both the distributor and cylinder sensor uses the same seals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honda Distributor Seals

Just wanted to clarify the dimensions for this Honda distributor seal are 12.5 X 22.5 X 5mm and the material is ACM not NBR.

The design type is also different from what most industrial seal suppliers will offer.

Our design is the OEM design and has a bi-directional helix on the inside lip.

We sell this item in our ebay store under NOK part # BH3888E:colgate:

...for the distributor and cylinder sensor. Where do I get them? I searched and only found moonlightmechanic.com, which for me the website doesn't work and hasn't for days.:shock:

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
Just wanted to clarify the dimensions for this Honda distributor seal are 12.5 X 22.5 X 5mm and the material is ACM not NBR.

The design type is also different from what most industrial seal suppliers will offer.

Thanx! These are harder to find then they use to be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
...for the distributor and cylinder sensor. Where do I get them? I searched and only found moonlightmechanic.com, which for me the website doesn't work and hasn't for days.:shock:
Originally Posted by J.L. Seals Inc.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts