Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're going to buy my girlfriend a 3G tomorrow. There is a 5-speed and an auto. She doesn't know how to drive a stick and she needs this car to get to work. I suggested teaching her (cuz how long would it take her to learn, ya know?) and me driving her until she was comfortable enough to drive it on her own but she's almost dead set on the auto.

SO my question would be is there anything specific I should keep in mind while checking out this auto lude? I have only shopped for 5-speed cars and I don't know what normal people check for on auto cars. Sorry if this is really stupid. Just help me out please. lol.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
-low miles

-nice firm but not jerky shifts.

-Holds each gear nicely

-Fluid should be red and clear not cloudy

-Check the s3 and s4 button to make sure its in working order.

-Get numbers on the last time the transmission was serviced.

-No popping or scratching noise when shifting from park to d or Reverse (be sure to check this when its cold outside as well)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I must say i would never put a girl in a 3g i'd make that bitch ride the bus !! Or MAKE HER get the manual specialy if one is 4ws:!:

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
^ :emthup: They are great even if you can drive a manual/stick.
I prefer mine on a daily to my track car.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I love my 5spd 4ws. Grab whichever one has 4ws, learning to drive the Prelude clutch is easy. I tought my wife (was my girlfriend at the time) on my 2nd gen and she drives my 3rd gen as its our primary family car right now. Best stick to teach anyone to drive stick on. She'll have it down in no time, there was a cute little post with some pointers here in the last month or two, but you could always try http://www.standardshift.com/videos.html too.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
the auto tranny hangs lower in the chassis than the manual does.

ask me how i discovered that little fact, and i'll show you the trail of tranny fluid that followed me for about 3 miles.

·
toguetastic
3,233 Posts
pdx, your post was lame. what's wrong with a girl driving a 3g?
the auto tranny hangs lower in the chassis than the manual does.

ask me how i discovered that little fact, and i'll show you the trail of tranny fluid that followed me for about 3 miles.
that doesn't make sense... did you smack the tranny on something and crack it open?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Amir, we're heading out to go look at it. Updates when we return.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I would grab the manual. Wish you would take pics then come back and post them. Cadster has a write up on how to drive a stick that is pretty helpful, took me a day to learn how to drive one well.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
pdx, your post was lame. what's wrong with a girl driving a 3g?
no kidding...i can't be the only guy who remembers prelude chick or cynthia, among others...:megacool:

that doesn't make sense... did you smack the tranny on something and crack it open?
yup. i was running neuspeed race drops with two dead coils lopped off and it was a little low. the oil pan and the front to rear cross didn't bug me when they dragged....

the tranny housing, tho....cracked something terrible. if i hadn't blown the diff out of that tranny a few weeks later, i would have had to have it tig'd up.

·
Registered
109 Posts
i drove an auto nissan altima and when my trans started to go out it would be in like 2nd gear and if you floored it it would pop out of gear.. about 4 weeks later i had to get a new trans :[
i would go with manual too

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
If she wants and auto, then let her have it. What do you care, she will be the one driving it. As long as it's in good shape, it should work fine for her. If the tranny ever goes out, you can always do a 5-speed swap later.

If I have learned anything from 25 years of marriage, it's that when we men talk a woman into getting something they don't really want, it usually comes back to bite us in the ass. Whenever anything goes wrong with it, she'll say "well, I didn't want that stupid thing in the first place. I should have just gotten the one I wanted to get". Then she will never let you forget it.;-)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
3g Manuals are extremely easy to drive. I say tell her to suck it up and get the manual.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
If she wants and auto, then let her have it. What do you care, she will be the one driving it. As long as it's in good shape, it should work fine for her. If the tranny ever goes out, you can always do a 5-speed swap later.

If I have learned anything from 25 years of marriage, it's that when we men talk a woman into getting something they don't really want, it usually comes back to bite us in the ass. Whenever anything goes wrong with it, she'll say "well, I didn't want that stupid thing in the first place. I should have just gotten the one I wanted to get". Then she will never let you forget it.;-)
follow this advice..

·
toguetastic
3,233 Posts

HAHAHAH x2 fo sho!!! then if it breaks its her fault for wanting it! but you never get to prove your point, you just smile and know you're smarter lol
no kidding...i can't be the only guy who remembers prelude chick or cynthia, among others...:megacool:

yup. i was running neuspeed race drops with two dead coils lopped off and it was a little low. the oil pan and the front to rear cross didn't bug me when they dragged....

the tranny housing, tho....cracked something terrible. if i hadn't blown the diff out of that tranny a few weeks later, i would have had to have it tig'd up.
nice... so you kept driving it with a cracked housing? didn't it just quit working with no fluid in there?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

:dito: Take it from men who have been there or you can learn the hard way.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I was dead set on buying an Auto lude as well till my brother slapped me around a few times. then he tought me how to drive stick in a parking lot and been enjoying it ever since. I say make the b*tch learn.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts