Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just curious as i was thinking at looking back. to do sh*t to a car expecially a rarish one like the prelude 5gen costs alot of money a turbonetics kit alone is close to 4 grand, instalation, tuning, then exhaust, other shit to ensure life of the car, pistons rods, valve work, lsd's, axles, body mods, retro fits, tires, rims they all cost a shit load of money i figured it out to be a little over 10grand for the majority of top stuff.

i mean i don't mean to say were poor, but the reason most of us own a honda is because lets face it we don't make 300k a year or we'd all be driving in bmw's but my point is the average joe, or college kid how do u guys go about afford these upgrades, do u save up? credit? steal? loans? just curious because what ever it is someone explain it to me, because i seriously need more money for my desires.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I think it's common knowledge that we all prostitute ourselves.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wish I get some extra cash but I'm a college kid working 30+ hours a week to get my bills paid. I usually get about $200 extra a month. I'm trying to save up for boost but i could just buy a bike for less than that, so i dunno. I have a CC but try not to use it unless I have to. But yeah, when I win the lottery, I'll give you some money for your expensive ambitions :)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I got my stuff by "borrowing" during Hurricane Katrina :wink:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Nola BB6 said:
I got my stuff by "borrowing" during Hurricane Katrina :wink:
hahah:tongue2: wow thats bad.

But ok seriously thought I'm a college student and no unlike what I said from my previous post I dont steal.

Every month from work I average around $600-700. I dont pay for rent because I work for the housing departement on campus and that entitles me to free housing. On top of that I lease the other side of my room for a roomate and that tacks on another $300.

All utilities are provided by the university, so yea

$700+300 = $1000 every month net income for me to spend on my lude.

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
sexycheto88 said:
how do u guys go about afford these upgrades, do u save up? credit? steal? loans? just curious because what ever it is someone explain it to me, because i seriously need more money for my desires.
First of all I'd like to say that parts don't just cost alot for 5g's, they cost alot for any car. Honda or not. 4 grand is really about average for any brand turbo. 10k to build the engine up is about average also.

As far as how do we pay? I personally just buy one piece at a time.

Start off my mapping out your goals and working towards it. Example, if your going turbo, then obviously you shouldn't waste your money on an intake, exhaust manifold, etc.

Then, I'd start with appearance items such as lip kits, wheels, performance tires, spring/struts or coilovers, etc. All of this stuff is MUCH cheaper than a 15k turbo build. How does it benefit you? You piece together a nice car while buying yourself time to increase your wages.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
^^^Good advice, start with appearance, you'll be happy with having a nice looking lude even though you might be lacking in performance.

·
Registered
98 Posts
actually thats true, I started off with a $10 ebay intake with K&N filters which works wonders and a suspension setup...then it was rims and soon it will be my JRSC.

·
HipHopHeadd
1,339 Posts
Most of us are in the same boat. Mods cost a lot of money and most people don't have an extra 10k to spend. It sounds weird but I try to buy one upgrade for my car every month. Wether it be coilovers or a $10 item. Buying smaller items some months lets me save the extra money towards a bigger mod, but I still get a new toy to put on since I bought something. I don't make great cash b/c I am still in school and living in socal is hella expensive, so for the most part I am broke. Maybe I should stop buying alcohol? Naw.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
the cost of most mods for preludes, on average, aren't really that bad. look into cars like nsx's, m3's, etc and you'll be glad you're not trying to mod these cars. you can get a turbo kit for a prelude for around 4k or even less. the cheapest kit for my cobra was 8k.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Boosted521 said:
the cost of most mods for preludes, on average, aren't really that bad. look into cars like nsx's, m3's, etc and you'll be glad you're not trying to mod these cars. you can get a turbo kit for a prelude for around 4k or even less. the cheapest kit for my cobra was 8k.

yeah but nsx and m3 owners are rich, money is not an issue.

i have had my lude for 6 months and all i've been able to get is an AEM v2 intake, and some clear sidemarkers. The rest of my loot goes to insurance, books, gas, phone bill, and satelite bill.

I am currently saving for a greddy exhaust, i've been saving since february and i have $250 so far.

i'm fvcked for this month, i got mothers day and my moms b-day this month.

those damn gas orices aint helping either, 3.69 for chevron supreme in sunny socal

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
yea fuck gas...

I buy a lot of shit on credit, car and not car related, but I'm almost always able to pay it off in 2 or 3 months. I spend in splurges, buy buy buy, be poor be poor be poor.

I'd say don't worry about a turbo man, so much money and what do you have when you get done? a car that isn't even faster than an sti or an evo after they drop a grand or two into it.

When it comes down to it blowin ALL your money on your car at this point in your life is a waste. Try to save your extra cash, spend on little things so you can feel like you're treating yourself, but drop 4 g's at once to get a turbo... thats a lotta money dude.

i dunno, i'm 20, my lude is almost half paid off, and for the most part i'm living paycheck to paycheck. I live at home and I have a small business, and I work weekends, full time student, full time gf, money, gas... If I wanted to starve to death I could save for a turbo/build and have it in about a year, but I don't want to live like that. And I don't want to drop that much money and then have someone with a crx with the same money invested smoke me.

just my 7 pennies

·
Sleeper Needs Boost!
2,685 Posts
hehe.... I buy my stuff by working hard. Every once in awhile I do get a helping hand from which ever mistress I'm with. But all in all I take it one step at a time.

·
Registered
708 Posts
CruZin89LuDe said:
yea fuck gas...

I buy a lot of shit on credit, car and not car related, but I'm almost always able to pay it off in 2 or 3 months. I spend in splurges, buy buy buy, be poor be poor be poor.

I'd say don't worry about a turbo man, so much money and what do you have when you get done? a car that isn't even faster than an sti or an evo after they drop a grand or two into it.

When it comes down to it blowin ALL your money on your car at this point in your life is a waste. Try to save your extra cash, spend on little things so you can feel like you're treating yourself, but drop 4 g's at once to get a turbo... thats a lotta money dude.

i dunno, i'm 20, my lude is almost half paid off, and for the most part i'm living paycheck to paycheck. I live at home and I have a small business, and I work weekends, full time student, full time gf, money, gas... If I wanted to starve to death I could save for a turbo/build and have it in about a year, but I don't want to live like that. And I don't want to drop that much money and then have someone with a crx with the same money invested smoke me.

just my 7 pennies

whats a full time girlfriend?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts