Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car ran perfect, until the other night driving to class, cruising at 50mph. the car just slips out of 4th gear ( i don't use sportshift) and revs to like 7k rpm, then catches back and continues normally. Well It doesn't do it again for the next 15 mins. I got to class.

classes over, begin heading home. Everything is fine for the first 10 minutes, then it slips again while cruising, the CEL comes on now. It's fine again for another 5 minutes or so. Now it wont catch into gear at all. I pulled over shut the car down, restarted and its normal for .. like 10 minutes again.

At a stop, the car slams. there is no grinding, just sporadic shifting and not catching gear every so often. I read up and looked at RomPirate's post of the Helms manual for testing lockup solenoids etc.( http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1886248&postcount=3 ) Since I'm hoping its an electrical problem.

I tested the Ohm's range on the lockup solenoid,the #1 and #2 pin, supposed to be between 12-25ohm, its at 15ish for pin 1 and 2 on the lockup solenoid. I took a look at the filter it was almost clogged with VERY FINE particles of metal, which I assume is normal wear. cleaned it out ( hoping fluid flow was the issue). I tried to do what the helms manual said which is to "connect the each pin to the positive terminal of the battery..to hear a clicking sound.

I'm not sure how to do this? Just grab any wire and connect the pin to the positive terminal? Well I tried that and it didn't click like it said it would, was wondering if i did it wrong? I didn't get to the other solenoids, they are very hard to get to....

resetted ecu, put filter into gasket and reinstalled that assembly, test drove it. First 5 minutes driving around the neighborhood its absolutely perfect. Then i take it to the road.. and it starts revving again while cruising and CEL is back.

hoping for any insights.. =( this prelude is cursed.. but ive been trying to stick it out since 2003..

History :
Complete failure August 2006, full rebuild of trans.
May 2008 back in shop because main" inner" seal broke and ATF spewed out, fixed under warranty.

February 2009 Shifts are flaring with long delays, Full Rebuild again Under warranty

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
yea the 5th gen auto tip-tron trannys are one of hondas worst designs.....i would have given up after the first time!!!!!!! Stock 5spd prelude trannys can handle much much much much more!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I thought after the 2nd time it broke down you would have learned.

Its not going to get fixed, it will keep failing. The solenoids are *sometimes* the problem, but it can also be internal failure.

Swap it! Dont deal with that crap anymore!

·
Bearderator
8,521 Posts
I thought after the 2nd time it broke down you would have learned.

Its not going to get fixed, it will keep failing. The solenoids are *sometimes* the problem, but it can also be internal failure.

Swap it! Dont deal with that crap anymore!
Took me 4 times to get a swap done lol. Glad I only had to pay once :D

The guys who rebuilt my auto transmission told me that it looked like Honda didn't have enough clearance between the clutch packs for third and fourth gears, and over time the heat would warp them, then eventually fuse them together. That's what happened to my auto all 4 times.

It's time for a five-speed swap if you want to keep the car. If you do it right it'll cost as much or less than rebuilding your auto again. Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just finished my 5 speed swap. Spent just a little over 1000 and 4 days of labor. My auto lost 4th and reverse randomly. There was no slipping before. Im much happier with the 5 speed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts