Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my carbed 3g won't start, and has been burning coolant anyway, and the lady down the street selling her rusted-out Si won't budge on the price (I want a whole donor car for an Si swap). I've got about two grand saved up, but I don't want to spend it all on a car. I loved my Prelude. Which leaves me with one real solution: 2nd Gen.

The price of 3rd gens is going up I guess because people are running out of Civics, Integras, and Accords to ruin with cheap intakes and mufflers. So there's quite a few ruined 3rd gens running around, too, and it's like watching someone kick your dog. 2nd gens are either beaters or grandma cars around here, but still have classic Honda reliability. And a cool oldskool bulldog look that got smoothed out in the 3rd generation.

Here's what I know, or at least think I know:
  • 2nd gen Prelude was the father of the B-series-era Civics and Integras, but there's very little chassis parts interchangeability, if any, so this is of no help to me when it comes to modifying.
  • B-series swap is also possible, with about as much work as an H22 into a 3g.
  • Si isn't that much faster than the carbed base model, but has cool stuff like power windows. Si has slightly higher performance potential (unles you put a weber on the carbed motor or something, which I can't because I'll never be able to smog the car in CA)
Basically, I just want another cruiser/canyon carver with aspirations of Autocross duty (my 3g was just a set of tires away from being ready to eat some cones). Is there anything I should look out for when shopping for a 2g? I'm kinda partial to the carbed base model for slightly reduced weight and cool intake sound with the airbox hacked open.

Edit: After looking at the stickies, I kinda like the idea of running aftermarket carbs... Looks like all the factory vacuum junk can be left assembled, labeled, and thrown in a box ready to be re-installed later for smog inspection.

·
Registered
758 Posts
First of all, congrats on thinking of a 2nd gen. You won't regret it.

I'm personally a bigger fan of the Si, but both versions can be made fast with time and money. If you're more familiar with carbs from you old car, you might want to look into a base model 1.8.

Any other questions?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No chance I can use the Tokico blues I just bought for my 3g on a 2g, huh? The 3g is going on ice until i can find a donor car for it, anyway, so no biggie.

Umm.. Is the steering shaft the same size as the 3g? I'd like to keep my cool mugen knockoff steering wheel. What about short shifters? Would a civic one work?
I'll just peruse some more... I'm sure my answers lie burried in here somewhere.

Nothing promising on craigslist or autotrader... I was hoping to spend less than a grand.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I don't believe your shocks will work.

I don't know about the steering shaft.

A civic short shifter could work with some modifications.

Sorry I'm not more help.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh do you know how similar the exhaust routing is? I had a local shop make me a 2.25" cat-back with a flowmaster muffler and I love the sound of it. I just don't wanna spend $250 again on having another one made. Could it be made to fit with some modifications to the hangers or shorten it a little bit?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Exaust will be quite different, but the steeringwheel should be fine. Get the 2g, 3gs are for women n_~

although as I've been told cali gets the short end of the 2g stick, with another 100lbs of emissions crap on them

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All that emissions shit will come out and go into a box labeled "prelude smog crap" as soon as I can afford some webers and intake mani :D

Maybe I'll buy one from outside CA. They're pretty old cars, so a few are bound to have circulated into the state from other places.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts