Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Perfect timing too...Winter is here.

Need to replace. Never done it on this car. What else do I get with it? I think 1 gasket and is that it from what the repair manual? Do I have to remove the whole assembly or just the cover to slide out?

Does a lot of coolant drain out if I change it? Sits pretty high.

Read on hear to get Honda T stat only? Why? What is wrong with Napa or any other T Stats? I am assuming 195 degree fully open?

Thanks for the advice in advance... H23

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I believe stock maybe 170 degrees (F). It would be on the left side of the head. You might wanna get this rubber "gasket" piece that goes on the outside of the T-stat. Other than that, you may need to bleed the cooling system and top it off. I think the bolts are 10mm-14mm too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe stock maybe 170 degrees (F). It would be on the left side of the head. You might wanna get this rubber "gasket" piece that goes on the outside of the T-stat. Other than that, you may need to bleed the cooling system and top it off. I think the bolts are 10mm-14mm too.
That seems cold? Especially for Chicago. I will just go to Honda and ask.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I just removed the cover and slid it out, so there's only one rubber ring to replace if you do it that way.

A good amount of coolant will drain out. I just flushed my radiator and put in new stuff since it was probably time to anyway.

People probably just trust OEM more. That's pretty much up to you.. I usually like advance auto parts or murrays over autozone, but that's just personal preference/experience. And yea, it opens between 170 and 195.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just removed the cover and slid it out, so there's only one rubber ring to replace if you do it that way.

A good amount of coolant will drain out. I just flushed my radiator and put in new stuff since it was probably time to anyway.

People probably just trust OEM more. That's pretty much up to you.. I usually like advance auto parts or murrays over autozone, but that's just personal preference/experience. And yea, it opens between 170 and 195.
Went to Honda and bought it. Going to change it tonight. Did the old cardboard in front to keep the wind from coming through for the day. Heated up normal. It is below zero with the wind chill.

That is great that I can slide it out. But Ugh I was hoping it sat high enough for little to spill. Coolant is new with a new radiator but they did not change the thermostat when they had it apart. Oh well...

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
In that case, I'd try it without draining the coolant first. Then just top it off at the end. No sense in losing all of it.. it just might be a little more messy.

·
Registered
136 Posts
after replacing the t-stat you might just want to warm up the car with the rad cap off then burp the bubbles out of the coolant by adding coolant while squeezing the upper rad hose.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
after replacing the t-stat you might just want to warm up the car with the rad cap off then burp the bubbles out of the coolant by adding coolant while squeezing the upper rad hose.
Or you can bleed it on the T-stat neck. There is a bleed screw there. But either way will work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts