Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Prelude Gods Have Smiled Upon Me: Found My New Baby (update w/ pics)

I drove over to a friend's house tonight just before 9pm, and on the way there, I see a red 88/89. With a For Sale sign on it. Parked on the main road. As I creep by real slow, I read the sign. $1500 firm. I pull over and punch the number into my phone's memory. I stop for gas a block down the road and while I'm filling up my Audi's 91-octane-hungry 21-gallon tank, I call it up.

Here's the deal:
88 2.0Si Red on Black interior
5spd
Original owner
Driven occasionally
Dealer serviced and maintained since new
All paperwork/receipts
Less than 150K miles! They aren't sure of the exact figure, since it hasn't been driven much in the last two years, but it's not more than 150k.
Issues:
Paint-been in the sun for the last two years, but it looked better than mine
Muffler-can be fixed for free at Midas, but it doesn't matter since I'll just swap my Flowmaster setup over
Interior-It's still an 18-year-old car, some sun fading. Faded bits can probably be swapped over from my S, which has a black 88/89 Si interior.
I still have to pay money for it-Hey, not everything's free :D

Gonna go over and look at it tomorrow after work. All my money is in my saving's account, so I won't be able to take it home until Monday (assuming everything's ok. My folks are gonna throw a shit-fit.

Plans:
Accord lip kit
CAI
Adjustable Cam gears
Possibly cam regrind/B18B aftermarket cams
Swap over my Silvania Silverstars, Suspension, Exhaust, Rims, Shifter, Stereo, and any other bits that need to be swapped. My round shifter bezel is gonna go to Ecology with the rest of the car.

Question: Should I try to swap trannies? Isn't the 88S geared shorter than the Si? Plus I have a badass clutch in the S that I went through a lot of trouble for. But then, it's a bitch in traffic. Maybe I'll just save up for a sprung metallic setup instead of this solid hub bullshit. Or just a snappier organic.

I'm so excited I can hardly wait for tomorrow afternoon :D No more carbs! Sorry, carb guys. I really wanted to stick it out with you, but california emissions laws and my finances say "no" :(

Anyone want my red SOHC valve cover?

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
great deal on it. make sure to get pics up when you can :emthup: Finding a 3rd gen around here is a PITA, ive been looking to sell my current one and getting a rust free but there are NONE in autotrader or cars.com for sale :( I'd get it if i were you, especially without rust and decent mileage on it.

Remember, dont waste all your savings on a car. You will regret it in the future as i have been informed by many people ;)

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
nice find man. thats what i envy about you guys in california or in the south, no rust unlike us midwesterners god i hate the snow.

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
iowa luder said:
nice find man. thats what i envy about you guys in california or in the south, no rust unlike us midwesterners god i hate the snow.
+1:turn:

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The Prelude Gods Have Teased Me Maliciously

134,000 miles. 34,000 miles on the clutch. Drives fine, clutch feels good, motor is strong. Couldn't take it on the freeway because the tailpipe is hanging and drags on the slightest bumps :( Then there's the body:

The car spent the first 65,000 miles of its life in Chicago, and it shows. More rust on the bottom rear edge of the rear fenders, under rear quarter windows, and a little on the rockers. Interior is sun faded. Cracked windshield. Chipped moldings.

With the amount of bodywork needed, I don't think this one is worth $1500. I can get a California-grown car with faded paint for the same price, with no rust.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
id steer away for 1500.....maybe 1000.

it needs a full on body attack and paintjob....but the body could be worse.

I'd just take a real good look at the rust spots and see how bad they are and see if theres anymore hiding anywhere.

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
evoludersir said:
Paint chip like crazy but fixable and no body damage.
no body damage? i'd rather be rear ended than have to have the roof cut off because of rust. I believe you have to take out front, rear windows, and the side ones except the doors. That doesnt sound like a fun job for a body worker, though the ones at the shop i work at do it with ease...:dontgetit:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
... if your intrested i know of one with a perfect body rims and a running motor for 800... only prob is its in NC and 800 can prob be talked down...

pm me if anyone is intrested and i can talk to the guy.... i would get it but i keep puting money towards my lude instead of saving up for this one.. yeah i know...

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'm gonna hold out for one local.
As for the rust on the roof, if I push on the rusty spots with my finger, i can feel the metal buckling. They've been rusting through for a while, and even if I sand them down and seal them, they might rust out from the back anyway. I opened the sunroof and about half of the rim was rusted, too. I didn't think to look under the trunk carpeting, but I'm afraid of what I'd find there.

Thing is, if this thing has been in Chicago winters bad enough to do that to the roof, there's bound to be places where standing water has rusted out bits that are going to be a bitch to get at and fix.
If she goes down to 1000, i'll go and look at the car some more, but at $1500, I'm sure I can find a better deal.

It's only ever been serviced at Hoehn Honda here in town, so I'll go to them with the VIN and see if they'll let me look at the records or talk to a technician that's worked on the car.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I'd pass this one up, and find yourself a FI car in even worse condition and swap over your S to FI. Your current S looks minty. :emthup:

·
Registered
149 Posts
i would pass it up as well just swap your s to your fi. but i do realize wanting to buy these cars when you find em i own 2 already

yea i was lucky enough to find the most mintiest prelude body no rust anywhere! and i live in mn lol we use salt here on the roads.
its a 91 si 4ws 150 k 17" wheels
vis hood demon body kit
i paid 900 needs body work / paint cause the kit wasnt completed
i fixed the engine and it had a bad valve noise and i did valve adjustment and its quiet
but it burns oil fast not sure if its the valve stem seals or the rings gonna have to test that soon. debating whether i should just get a b20a and turbo it or find a way to fund a h22 or just fix the b21 too many decisions

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I'd offer 400 as the body is worthless. If I had the money, I'd go up to MAYBE 750. If you can get it for in between there, I'd get it as a parts car and swap all the stuff you want into your S unless it's rusted too...

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah but the S-Si swap is a bitch, isn't it? I mean new fuel pump, new dash wiring, new engine harness...

And then I'd have to swap over the power mirrors and windows. The cruise control would be nice, too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts