Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we got our 4th gen in 2000, either the wife or myself have driven the car year round. It's not the greatest winter car I've ever driven but surprisingly it does better than I first thought it would. It doesn't do all that well in really deep snow since it just doesn't have the weight to plow through the deep stuff.

Does anyone else drive their Preludes in the winter? Have you found yours to be a decent winter car?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Unfortunately i'm 18, and we teenagers don't produce much revenue. Therefore the lude is forced into winter driving =[. But yea the lude is fine in the snow here in pennsylvania. I think it is more about the driver and his/her awareness on how to drive in the snow with your vehicles. I love it when im making it home in the snow and see chevy blazers and ford explorers stuck =].

·
Registered
763 Posts
if it wasn't for being lowered, it would be like any other FWD car. unfortunately for winter conditions, mine is pretty low, which makes for some headaches. and the thick 10w40 oil i use takes forever to get warm.

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
I drove mine in snowy conditions for 7 months last year. It did just fine besides the heat not being as hot.

·
Registered
291 Posts
2nd winter driving the lude in the winter, WNY isn't so kind to it, but slap on some winter tires, and use the hand brake from time to time and she gets by just fine

·
Banned
1,783 Posts
i drove mine last winter and it got around pretty well. i had new snow tires on for the last half of the season and I thought it made a huge difference.

but now my new winter/dd is an 87 civic that gets around just as well.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
This is my first winter and it's really not bad. I'm not lowered but I have a wings west lip kit. The front lip is like a plow.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've been driving mine now for it's third winter, two of those winters with koni/gc springs lowered about an inch, nothing major. 15" steelies with winter tires and I'm having a blast. I don't see any problems at all driving in the winter other than the bumpy ass ride on non-plowed side streets. I've also beep through pretty deep snow with it. Soft snow on a park road mind you but I ripped through there. It was after a pretty good snowfall and I was the only one there as there were no tracks at all into the park. Nothing crazy but driving about 80kms/hr sideways through corners with snow flying everywhere. I wish I had pics. I did it so much that my brakes were frozen lol. I had nothing :p Good tiimes.

Here's another taste of my winter driving fun with the prelude :)

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h99/CAN97SH/?action=view&current=ChrisStag.flv

·
Registered
581 Posts
i use mine as a winter driver too. i havent driven it in standing snow, mostly just slush and ice but it seems to go pretty good. i do light the tires up occasionally, most of the time its by accident but sometimes i just feel like lightin em up out of the parkin lot.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Does anyone else drive their Preludes in the winter? Have you found yours to be a decent winter car?
Since the lude is my dd, I drove mine in the winter..but only when its not snowing or slippy.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
This is the first winter I haven't driven my lude on account of me boosting it, but I drove it the 2 winters prior, and if you have a decent set of winter tires, you should be fine.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mine is my only car, so it has to. I just have some all-seasons on it right now. Not fun climbing into it with snow drifts on my door as high as my mirror.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Mine is my only car, so it has to. I just have some all-seasons on it right now. Not fun climbing into it with snow drifts on my door as high as my mirror.
Get some winter tires. It really does make a world of a difference. I will never ever go back to all seasons....ever :p

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would, but I am saving for possibly spending a year in Osaka studying.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I haven't driven mine in the snow in a couple winters, but when I did the only downfall was that it was too low for the ridges formed in intersections and such after heavy snowfall.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts