Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys long time viewer..first time poster :)

I am a poor college student and I have now saved enough money to get myself a 5th gen Lude..mind you without my parents $$$$$

As far as suspension goes. I was thinking of getting a full coilover setup but that is going to cost me around $800+

I could always go for the coilover sleeves with stock shocks. but I heard that was not recommended. This would run me around 200-300$

I want to know what setups you guys currently have how much it costs. I want to know If I should get a FULL coilover or just buy the sleeves or maybe get some springs and shocks by themselves.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
My shock/spring setup costed me around $400 total. I'm using Tokico blues shocks with Eibach pro-kit springs.

·
Registered
848 Posts
DO NOT!!!!! skimp on suspension with a car like a prelude imho. It is a handling car, dont take that away from it or compromise it. It would be like me skimping on the power aspect of my 5.0

·
Registered
792 Posts
So what's better? Stock suspension or cheap aftermarket for both driveability and performance.

·
RHD Pimpin
10,152 Posts
I'm running Ground Control coilovers with KYB AGX's...

·
Registered
59 Posts
bmanuhutu said:

I could always go for the coilover sleeves with stock shocks. but I heard that was not recommended. This would run me around 200-300$

Don’t do it... I lowerd my car with this type of setup when I first purchased my car (back in 98)... I used Skunk2 Coilovers with stock shocks. In summary, I ended up destroying my shocks and the car handled like shit. Just do it right the first time. Either get a full coilover setup or if you are short on $$$, lower it a good aftermarket shock & spring combo.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
ludespeed501 said:
My shock/spring setup costed me around $400 total. I'm using Tokico blues shocks with Eibach pro-kit springs.
exact same setup here, pretty much the same price as well (+/- 10 bux, cant really remember)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how about

KYB AGX's shocks
with SKUNK 2 Coilovers. Do you think that will be a good setup.
And how is the skunk2 coilovers. Has anyone on this board experienced riding in them or using them personally.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I personally have the KYB AGX's with Skunk 2 coilovers.
simply put-great ride and great performance. Adjustability is also nice.:turn:
I , like Pattison, started out with only skunk 2 coilovers and stock shocks. this was a very bad idea with horrible results. don't go cheap.

by the way i race in autox and the skunk 2 and agx's work wonders on the track.
two thumbs up for this setup! not killer expensive setup either.

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
bmanuhutu said:

I am a poor college student and I have now saved enough money to get myself a 5th gen Lude..mind you without my parents $$$$$

As far as suspension goes. I was thinking of getting a full coilover setup but that is going to cost me around $800+

I want to know what setups you guys currently have how much it costs. I want to know If I should get a FULL coilover or just buy the sleeves or maybe get some springs and shocks by themselves.
Tein coilovers on my 5th gen= gold
Tokico/H and R springs on my 3rd gen= big disappointment compared to the coilovers.

Go for tein basics. 675 bucks from optionimports.com.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I've got Tein, too. They're amazing...

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
poor mans suspension = stock

tein = well liked on this board

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
N/Apower said:
...dont take that away from it or compromise it. It would be like me skimping on the power aspect of my 5.0
you're right, that's all the 5.0 has going for it. :turn:

j/p mang!

While I agree that suspension is critical, and getting the best is my advice, personally I think Koni Shocks with a good progressive spring that doesn't drop much (Eibach Pro-Kit) is the best set up for the street driven prelude. But in a bind I'd recommend Eibach prokit springs with Tokico blue shocks ($400-450 total cost here) and then later when you can afford it and or want something better, just get some koni shocks, tower braces and stiffer sway bars. :)

- JL

·
Registered
296 Posts
prelude1897 said:
I'm running Ground Control coilovers with KYB AGX's...
me too, and i love it. nice and cheap too, about $650 for the components. comparable in price to tein basics, but the basics are only height adjustable, not dampening adjustable. the agx setup is fully adjustable.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
Koni adjustables are maybe another $200 more than AGX's and are a FAR superior adjustable damper shock. Koni even rebuilds the shocks for free should they ever blow...and it's nearly impossible to blow Konis.

·
the 'lude makes me poor.
2,421 Posts
hey i was wondering about suspension too, i wanted to go with tein full coilovers with the edfc, i just think that's tight being able to ajust the while driving. but someone told me the had them on ther fith gen lude and blew em out in like 6 months has anyone had results with these? suspesions something i want to really do right in my lude, by the way it's a 98 base if that helps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts