Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
SH luder 06
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how is he doing this without using the clutch pedal. Is this A. good and useful for in traffic or B. just plain and flat out stupid and im wasting my time by asking your opinions if anyone has input please help me out btw does this harm the transmission in anyway i would assume so but i could be wrong.thnx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AJXsVj-PMg&feature=related

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
It is perfectly normal to shift this way, but extremely uncommon. You can do this on any manual transmission car. You really just have to find that point for RPM speed where you can safely shift without using your clutch. I would never recommend trying it to down shift.

·
Registered
812 Posts
yeah i've done this in my 4th gen, my RPM's had to be right at 3500 when i pull out of gear and i had to shift up pretty quickly before my RPM's dropped to much. ehh it was alright i guess just felt a bit hard to move the shift lever and a bit harsher going into gear so i stick to using the clutch.

·
BAN ALL MODS!!!
2,149 Posts
It is really easy to do and it does absolutely no harm to the transmission if you do it properly. All you have to do is pop the gear out while you have your RPM up and it will pop out nice and smoothly. Then you just have to do is find out where each gear needs the RPM to shift into gear.

No sense in trying if you have never done it before.

·
Memento Mori
7,501 Posts
If you understand how a manual transmission works it's obvious how this is done.

It's useful to know how to drive the car without the clutch if your clutch hydraulics fail, otherwise your stranded. But you shouldn't normally drive like this, and no, it's not faster when racing.

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
It's called "meshing" gears.

The way I understand it is... your flywheel and clutch both spin right? if you can match the speed of the flywheel and clutch, you can change gears without disengaging the clutch.

The only people that really do this generally are truckers...

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
its called ziquencial shift. If ur car breaks a a sincronizer(misspelled), you can drive the car, and shift like nada. Like is seconds sincro breaks, u can throw first. One u hit second, u gotta get it into high rev, then throw it into the gear. the transmission will accept it without grinding.

Edit: its either The sincro or ur clutch slave.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
i'm unwelcome here because i use my decade of 3rd gen experience and my 20 years of Honda experience to help people.

thank your '3rd gen project manager' and the 'famous as fuck' mod for my departure.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
it's pretty straight-forward, and as mustardcat suggested...can be a useful skill.

next time you drive your car, watch your tach before and after shifts.

perhaps you are at 4000 rpm in second, and when you shift to third, you are at 3000.

you can make the same shift without the clutch by engaging third when the motor falls to 3000 from 4000 after you take your foot off the gas.

the gears in your transmission are cut on an angle to reduce noise (except reverse, which is why it whines). that angle helps keep the car in gear without you having to hold it. when you take pressure off the gear (by taking your foot off the gas) you can pull the transmission out of gear. now you are in neutral.

your motor is spinning at one speed, and with the foot off the clutch pedal, your clutch disk and input/main shaft of the transmission are spinning at that same speed.

as your car is rolling in neutral, the wheels are turning the diff, which is turning the secondary shaft at some speed.

if you can get both the main and secondary shafts in the transmissions to turn at the same speed, you can engage a gear without stepping on the clutch...the synchros in the transmission help the gears line up.

the clutch just lets you do this same process without having to try to rev match the shafts. the clutch lets the main shaft spin freely, allowing for an easy engagement to the secondary shaft. once those two are engaged, releasing the clutch re-introduces the motor to them.

up shifts are pretty easy, cuz the engine rpm naturally falls and with good timing it easy to catch the engagement window as it passes.

down shifts are harder, cuz you've got to rev the motor up to match how fast the tranny is spinning. it's the same size window, but a heavy foot will cause it to go by much more quickly.
So when u talk about wine, u mean like when u reverse and u hear that whining noise... Fuck i failed.

Well some cars do it while actually driving... Does that mean that there transmission is fucked up?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I've upshifted my car like this before a few times. It was going down hill and it just fell into place. It felt really weird not clutching. Another time i've tried it i grinded so i quit doing it.

We have an old ford worktruck i can up and down shift without clutch in that sucker. Its good too cause that clutch is stiff as hell.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I do this every single day up shifting and downshifting in my crx... in preludes its much harder to do because the syncros are much closer but with older cars or less performance cars it super easy... done it in 88 rex, 93 civic hatch, 91 integra ls, 2004 ford ranger, and 86 civic si, all cars continue to run fine with no problems with the tranny...

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
ha his shifts dont seem to be all that "perfect" in the vid.
i've messed around with the no clutch shifting and its quite easy to get use to. but why not use the clutch if you have it? stop being lazy and just push in the clutch :)

this did come in handy when my car had a leak in the clutch line one time, so every time i pushed the clutch in it would spray fluid all over my engine bay so i used the clutch only for stopped moments

·
SH luder 06
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So when u talk about wine, u mean like when u reverse and u hear that whining noise... Fuck i failed.

Well some cars do it while actually driving... Does that mean that there transmission is fucked up?
these are your 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th gears these are called helical gears the taper cut in the gear prevents the whining noise that you hear in reverse.

these are spur gears this is why reverse whines these straight cut gears are stronger but uncomfortable for daily driving very loud and annoying.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
i'm unwelcome here because i use my decade of 3rd gen experience and my 20 years of Honda experience to help people.

thank your '3rd gen project manager' and the 'famous as fuck' mod for my departure.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts