Honda Prelude Forum banner

the history of boostedlude's build

3K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Prudz_lude 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally tracked down some old photos of the lude when I first bought it. So here we go. I bought the car in the summer of 1995 in Virginia Beach, Virginia for 10,999.00 with 65k miles. I believe I am the second owner.

My first mod in 1999 was removing the intake piping except the elbow off the throttle body and attatching a filter. Second was 2 1/4" exghuast with an OBX muffler/coffee can. It was a lot of fun to drive but it was monster trucking until I put weapon R coilovers on stock struts and an engalls camber kit. At the time I was living in Louisville Ky.

In 2001 I got the SI wheels from my sisters 99 civic SI. I also got the ludespeed water to air intercooled kit from a guy in St. Louis.

I bolted it on. Drove down the street on 6lbs and blew the b21 motor. I rebuilt a b20 with weisco pistons added an SAFC and DSM 440cc injectors.

Finally running good, I took it to a dyno and got 208whp at 10lbs. After about a year and a half I blew that motor due to running lean and snapping a rod during a street race against an eg with LS/VTEC. I used to have pictures of the block that was cut completely in half from the oil pan to the deck but I cant find it. The only think keeping it together was the deck its self. The good news is I won the race and on top of that I dumped all 5 quarts of oil on his car as I raced past him.

Onwards. I rebuilt another motor and the machine shop didnt mic the piston to wall clearance so when I got the assembled block back and installed guess what. It smoked. Bad. I took it back out and this time went to a different machine shop. Got it back, installed it same problem. Finally fed up I took it to Bill at Autolab in 2004. Turns out the block I got was bored .20 over and the pistons I had were standard which is why it kept smoking. This is why its important to trust your machine shop to do good work.

This time Crower rods and Weisco pistons

new everything in the head

New turbo kit while I am at it please.

This is where the real shit comes into play. Pricision 680cc injectors, Hondata s200 with chipped P72, PLX 300 wide band, 3" exhuast, apexi N1 Muffler, rebuilt trans with Type R LSD, ACT 6 puck and finally a greddy boost controller. Everything was installed and or fabed by Autolab. I got the lude back in the spring of 2005.

Time to street tune it safely........

Type R seats installed....

Lets see what the dyno says on 6/7lbs......

new wheels and a little body damage from a fender bender....

2008 fresh paint and 4ws install....

Finally got the lude dyno tuned 12-7-09. I am happy with where the power is at and it will stay that way because I like driving it too much!

5-31-13

Starting brake upgrade with NSX front calipers and fastbrakes rear brake kit using OEM caliper.

back left:

painted NSX calipers

And the saga continues..............

See less See more
#6 ·
I lost my second boosted motor because of the piston to wall clearance just as you did. I didint really blame it on the machine shop because the blame was half on me to. I should have made the piston to wall spec more clear, they are sooooo important when boosting these little 4cyl engines. I even called wiseco myself to make sure, and the next time around they bored every cylinder to its own piston, they did the rings as well. This motor has lasted a long time under some serious boost, piston to wall clearance is key to making these boosted honda engines last.

#11 ·
That was then. There is more to the story I just havent had the time to finish it. I am currently running 10lbs daily and 20 when I wanna get crazy and I am looking into getting methanol injection and dyno tunning the bish.

#17 ·
its from a 90 integra. It was about an inch short on both sides. If you look real close you can see it.

#18 · (Edited)
I think it was a 90ish convertable mustang. I know it was a convertable mustang I just dont remember the year. I just had to trim it to fit.

Mike I like the Si wheels better too but they were too narrow and I never could get traction under boost.

The original b21 had approximately 180,000 miles when I straped a turbo to it and it was burning oil too.

#23 ·
In process of NSX brake up grade and fastbrakes rear kit. Updated first post.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.