Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am back. I hope you have all been well.

The battery charge light came back again. I took some time out from dealing with this scrap heap shit but soon I need to use the car so I need to get to the bottom of this.

For those who missed the book I wrote about this problem then here's the low down...

Five months ago I hosed dow my engine, afterwards battery charge light came on and wouldn't go away. Replaced the alternator with a remanufactured unit, twice. Changed the crankshaft pulley. Changed the drive belt. Confirmed voltage on all alternator circuits and for continuity through fuses 37 and 12.

Car now starts fine but once warmed or a bit after (anywhere between 10-30 minutes) the battery charge light comes on and won't go away until the car has been off for hours, or sometimes even a day.

One thing I just noticed is during cluster bulb test (accessories on) and for a couple of seconds after starting the car, the oil warning light flickers. I have never seen that behaviour before and also my battery charge light has flickered before during cluster test. I'm wondering if bad wiring.

A month ago I noticed water trapped inside the engine wire harness connector that connects to the left hand side wire harness (the one that exits the engine bay to behind the dashboard). It's trapped by the rubber plugs inside behind the pins. I'm wondering if it's this from the oil light also flickering.

I am going to check the workshop manual to checkout the oil sensor wiring but just putting this all out there in hope to get a hook.

·
Registered
JDM 4th Gen Prelude 2.2 Vtec Turbo
12 Posts
Sounds like you've filtered down the issue to the harness / connectors in the engine bay, which makes sense since it started after hosing down the area.

I'd be going round every connector with electrical contact cleaner and fettling the earth's too.

·
Registered
3 gen
115 Posts
Mine still eternal but i remove clúster and destroy that battery bulb and problem solve. Same with the eternal seatbelt light.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I disconnected the engine wire harness connectors which connect to the left engine compartment wire harness because I am airing out any water that may be trapped inside the connectors before treating them with contact cleaner. I took some photo's of the wires while I was at it to confirm the wires I need to follow run through this point. While I was having a look just now, I noticed the rubber coating on the white wire is breached.

The white wire is for the charging systems' B circuit which runs from the alternator to the battery to charge it.

I don't think this wire breach is causing the charging system problem because the alternator doesn't sense the battery through this circuit, plus when the battery charge light comes on there is less than 12 volts coming out of B terminal on the alternator, but I thought I'd post my finding anyway in case I'm missing some logic.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Vtecmec you fuckin legend!!! I blasted the the engine wire harness and left engine compartment wire harness connectors like you said and it looks like the problem has been resolved!

I let the car run for 20 minutes, then revved the shit out of it, turned everything on that I could find, restarted the car over and over and over to the point where I was just pulsing the starter... everything is fine!

Water must have gotten into those connectors and disturbed corrosion of something. I guess that's to be expected on a 30 year old car.

One side effect I have is that my headlights are now popping up and down when I turn them on. This problem isn't new though:

That problem goes away by itself and only comes back when I wash the engine so I don't care about it that much. At least I now know where the fault for it is.

Thanks again for your help mate, you've probably saved a Prelude from getting crushed and made all the difference to my life!

Inbox me your PayPal ID!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts