Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. The temperature (AC) slider won't move on my dashboard climate control without using a lot of force. I've got a 2001 Prelude.

My Honda dealer has identified that the water valve control cable must be replaced. The part number is 79544-S30-A00. This is the cable that attaches to the water valve, inside the engine bay and behind the firewall. It is seized up.

I've look everywhere and can't find the part. It's apparently discontinued. (I've tried dealers in the U.S. and Canada, and various online parts sites). It's not on E-Bay, either.

Does anyone have any ideas where to look for this part? Or is there another Honda part (from another vehicle) that might fit? For example, the 2003 Accord seems to have a similar cable (part 79544-SDA-A00). Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1985 Prelude
34 Posts
You could find some generic cable and cut it to the correct length, similar to what people do with custom throttle cables. But what I would suggest is try taking the cable out, clean it with carb cleaner, then spray in some lubricant and see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
mine is also super stiff,i always thought it was the water control valve being hard to operate, you should be able to fix it....maybe it just needs to be relubricated? ,whats really "broken" about it?...since i dont like to wear out the water control valve on any car you could do what i do...move the lever once to heat in winter and once to cold in summer...lol

·
Registered
401 Posts
mine is also super stiff,i always thought it was the water control valve being hard to operate, you should be able to fix it....maybe it just needs to be relubricated? ,whats really "broken" about it?...since i dont like to wear out the water control valve on any car you could do what i do...move the lever once to heat in winter and once to cold in summer...lol
They aren't normally lubricated, just teflon tubing with a steel wire running through it. They must operate in both tension and compression, unlike a throttle cable, which only acts in tension.

·
Registered
78 Posts
hmm...good point kabuki...more like autotrans cable...with 25 years of dust and dirt...maybe just a GOOD clean is in order (altough the teflon might be rubbed though at high friction points)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts