Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
damn i pressed delete on accident and now i have to re-write this whole damn thing :Oo:

ok so about a week ago i broke one of the thermo sensors. it was old and dry rotted.

I fanally replaced it so now all (3) the thermo sensors are new the only thing thats not is the temp sending unit. im pretty sure thats what the problem is since i know its not the 3 new thermo sensors and its not the gauge itself i have to gauge clusters and tried them both and they both dont have a signal to them.

does anyone know of a way of checking this sensor its the single prong sensor im kinda low on funds and wont be able to get this for a while

·
Registered
238 Posts
I checked my spare water outlet & I have single prong sensor that you can have. Just an FYI, I had to replace a portion of the wire & connector due to age & damage.

·
Registered
9,584 Posts
The single prong sensor is meant for the temp gauge in dash. Um, if it isn't working right, just inspect the wires. They tend to break, especially after doing a lot of work to a car. So repair the wiring to it's original state and it might fix it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked my spare water outlet & I have single prong sensor that you can have. Just an FYI, I had to replace a portion of the wire & connector due to age & damage.

its the one with the circle around it (WT622)

yea i relplaced the wire and connector already thats why im pretty sure its the sending unit itself

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

PM'd

·
穏やかな旅行&#
4,713 Posts
Mine went bad somehow after swapping to the 90-91 gauge cluster. It worked fine midway through the swap when I first plugged everything in to test, but once the dash was all buttoned up it would just peg all the way on H no matter what.

Funny thing is, that made me decide to get an aftermarket temp gauge (with sender). I'm still using the stock wiring to connect it and that works just fine. More accurate x10000 too.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine went bad somehow after swapping to the 90-91 gauge cluster. It worked fine midway through the swap when I first plugged everything in to test, but once the dash was all buttoned up it would just peg all the way on H no matter what.

Funny thing is, that made me decide to get an aftermarket temp gauge (with sender). I'm still using the stock wiring to connect it and that works just fine. More accurate x10000 too.
do you have a link to that? and is it a direct bolt up?

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
you just use the stock sensor and tap its wire for aftermarket is what he is saying. That is what many have done. I however found a water neck at the junkyard that had a spare hole on backside that I will use for aftermarket sensor. They are rare to come by. I have pics onhere of it somewhere maybe search my user id and thermosensor.

edit: oh yeah if you have a 90-91 you can use any gauge from any 90-91. Not sure if it is the same if you have an 88-89 but you probably can use any 88-89 tep/gas gauge on your 88-89 too. Doesn't matter if its carbed or what engine.

·
穏やかな旅行&#
4,713 Posts
It's just the white-faced 2.25" Sunpro one from vAutozone.

The sender it comes with fits our stock location just fine. I think it was $20 or so. You will need to hook some power up to it from somewhere but it's less work than swapping your cd player IMO (in other words, it's super easy).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 1989 third gen 5 speed with fuel injection. The antifreeze isn't running through the cooling system and the temperature gauge isn't leaving 0. I ordered a new temp sensor/sender and a new thermostat. I hope this will fix the problem.
My question to you is how did you replace the wiring and wiring harnesses?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts