Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the compressor in my honda prelude is a large body, very large clutch pully compressor. lets call it type A

i bought a used one from import tuna. his compressor is a little smaller body, but has a much smaller clutch pully. this will be type B. plugs are identical.

and of course it dont fit. i believe the A/C lines fit, they loosly match, but this compressor dont fit my compressors bracket.

so my question is... if i get the type B mounting bracket, will it then fit ?
my bracket also ties into the altinator... i think the belt tension is off this bracket. either way.. im also asking if i get the type B bracket, will it work with the compressor and my altenator bracket ?

or do i need a large pully compressure no matter what ?

i would think my compressure would eat more horses then his. my pully is about twice the diameter, his is much smaller.

search aint working.. or there is nothing here on it.

·
Rep me if you hate my ass
4,348 Posts
Fuck, man. I didn't even know there were two different compressors from '88 to '91. They must look similar because otherwise you would have noticed the difference in the pictures...

--J

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Let get crackin on this post..

people, post up your AC compressor Pulley Pics.

·
4,348 Posts
Hmmm. I wonder if anyone ever thought to check a manual for this stuff. You have to know which one you have in order to get parts for it, so a manual should tell you of the different compressors that the 3g used...

--J

EDIT: I didn't find anything of any use in the online manual, but my Chilton manual usually has this kind of information in it. It's with my Prelude at my grandma's house, and I'm going there tomorrow so I'll take a look at it and let you know what I find out. No promises, though, since I don't know if it will have any relevant information. Hopefully it will.

·
Registered
711 Posts
i would luv to look in my chilton to try to help u....but its in my car at my aunts house and i got no ride there.

·
4,348 Posts
That sounds like the excuse of the day!

--J

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
There is plenty on this. But if search isn't working I'll take your word for it. 88-89 ludes had the matsushitsu sp? and the 90-91 came with sanden tr70 turborotor. 2 different brands entirely. if you can source a/c compressor arm/bracket for 88-89 it should bolt up now the lines I don't know compatibillity i don't know.

·
4,348 Posts
Well that's way more useful than any silly manual. Thanks for clearing that up. Anybody got a picture of that '88-'89 bracket?

--J

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
cudaboy said:
There is plenty on this. But if search isn't working I'll take your word for it. 88-89 ludes had the matsushitsu sp? and the 90-91 came with sanden tr70 turborotor. 2 different brands entirely. if you can source a/c compressor arm/bracket for 88-89 it should bolt up now the lines I don't know compatibillity i don't know.
why would he want an 88-89 bracket for a compressor out of a 90-91?

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
the sanden tr70 turborotor wont fit my 1989 bracket. so i was thinking a 90/91 bracket would fit my block so i could use this tr70. but we are talking about different engines (b20ax to b21ax)

but i talked to a a/c guy this morning at express oil. he said no.
if my system uses that matsushitsu compressor, i need that compressor. they are different systems and do not interchange.
import tuna sold me a good tr70 compressor. i can read this on the housing. my old compressor has nothing on it i could read, but im sure what cudaboy said is correct.

with the compressor buried at the bottom of the car. it did look like imports compressor would work. plug matches, so does fittings.

no worries import tuna. i got what i needed (da' shifter) and this compressor was not that much.

for sale tr70 compressor - 20.00 + shipping
PM me for details.

:)

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Or just find a A/C mount bracket from a 90-91
CADster said:
the sanden tr70 turborotor wont fit my 1989 bracket. so i was thinking a 90/91 bracket would fit my block so i could use this tr70. but we are talking about different engines (b20ax to b21ax)

but i talked to a a/c guy this morning at express oil. he said no.
if my system uses that matsushitsu compressor, i need that compressor. they are different systems and do not interchange.
import tuna sold me a good tr70 compressor. i can read this on the housing. my old compressor has nothing on it i could read, but im sure what cudaboy said is correct.

with the compressor buried at the bottom of the car. it did look like imports compressor would work. plug matches, so does fittings.

no worries import tuna. i got what i needed (da' shifter) and this compressor was not that much.

for sale tr70 compressor - 20.00 + shipping
PM me for details.

:)

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
xeris said:
Or just find a A/C mount bracket from a 90-91
so your saying a sanden compressor will work with a mashusta system ?
the a/c guy at express oil said no. it wont work.

do you know if just the compressor bracket is needed ?
or will i also need the altinator bracket from the b21 ?
so brackets from either compressors will fit both the b20 and b21 ?

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
When I swapped all my 89 parts on to the 91 body I had to switch the two lines also, they are not the same. The bracket i dont know about because it was still on the motor. Plugs and functioning is the same. 88-89 compressor = 88-89 lines and the same with the 90-91, etc.

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
well a 89 compressor (the big one) should not fit a 91 bracket (for the small one). one of the 4 mounting holes dont match (thats my problem).

(big compressor) NL1300AA4
(small compressor) TR70

my lines matched the 91 compressor. may of had the ends swapped.. it was a loose match up to see.

im tore between finding a 91 bracket and using this tr70 on my 1989, or just finding a 1989 compressor.

it dont really matter, within 2 years the compressor will be no good. they never last on these cars.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
If you could get the compressor fitted up properly and everything and evacuated properly then refilled with the proper refrigerant and compressor oil it should work. The only time you'll run into problems if two different compressor oils were used or if the two cars use two different regrigerants (r134a and r12)

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
J-Willie said:
If you could get the compressor fitted up properly and everything and evacuated properly then refilled with the proper refrigerant and compressor oil it should work. The only time you'll run into problems if two different compressor oils were used or if the two cars use two different regrigerants (r134a and r12)
yea.. thats what i always thought as well.

thanks....

PMs from bobnova -
more good info.. so its added.

Bobnova said:
mmmmm I know pretty much nothing about AC systems.

That said, it seems like an R12 compressor should work with pretty much any R12 system, mounts and pipe fittings ignored.

But like i said, i don't know about AC, we don't do any work on it at my shop, sorry i couldn't help more.

ok.. can you tell me this -

the tr70 compressor (newer compressor) dont fit my b20a5 a/c bracket (older compressor).

but if i got a B21 a/c bracket... would this fit my b20a5 block ?

the top of my a/c bracket also serves as the alt. adjustment bracket.

i would really like to get the tr70 compressor to work. its pully is about 1/2 the size of the mushushta<sp> pully. i would think the smaller pully would use less horses.

Bobnova said:
I'm 90% certain that the external block castings are the same through the entire year range, so you should be ok from that standpoint.

so now i just need to find a b21 a/c bracket....
like something from a 90/91 lude.

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
I bought a reman sanden tr70 on ebay that i haven't installed yet. I could find the user id and give it to ya. the sanden was $170 shipped. 90 day warranty if you clean and inspect the expansion valve and replace the drier.

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
uhh.. i have a tr70, got it from import tuna. my problem is that my bracket dont fit it.

i know about the expansion valve... but the drier . this has always stumped me.

as soon as you open the drier (even a new one in-the-box) it gets moisture corruption. so how would this be any different then just removing your compressor lines and then quickly replacing them on the new compressor with the old drier in place ?

·
Premium Member
4,294,967,295 Posts
yeah I get you have a tr70 but what i was getting at was this is someone I trust that has great feedback and might stock the matsushitsu. Remanufactured or brand new compressor, if you don't replace the drier it voids the warranty. They do it for a number of reasons. All the aftermarket driers that i ordered at oreilly's and advance were made wrong or incomplete I should say. They may do a fine job of removing moisture but none of them had a port for the binary pressure switch. I ended up buying it at slhondaparts.com and it came with a new switch already mounted. It was around $65 while aftermarket was $30. But it was the right part. I personally wouldn't run my compressor without the that switch even if I could. Oh yeah the only thing I didn't like was that there was no sight glass in it for r134 sanden system drier. But none of the aftermarket ones had one either. I don't know if your system has a binary switch on the drier but if it does, then its something to look out for if you go to replace yours. Driers are different depending on which coolant you use just like the use of different oils. edit I just realized your from alabama. I bought my lude in alabama. Must be some bad mojo there or I suppose it could be heat:silly:

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
:? the sanden compressor isnt for 134a
it's still an R12 system (although, I do believe it is still a 134a compatable compressor)

to answer your question, the bracket from a 90-91 will bolt to your block.
I had the problem when i installed my b20a...my compressor wouldnt fit the bracket. I unbolted the bracket from my old b21 and bolted it right up to the b20a block. no problems.
if the lines are indeed different, I have my old lines that I'll send you. they are from a 91 with a sanden compressor

1 - 20 of 23 Posts