Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im rolling right now with all the factory stuff in my 92 si 4ws, so Im gonna be upgrading real soon.
Ive decided Im going to go with Infinity Reference 6010cs component 6.5 in the front
Infinity 6.5's in the back and amplify it all with a sony 4 channel 50w x 4 amp.
And I will add a 10'' sub later with a mono amp, but Maybe my plan has flaws. What do u guys suggest as other options. I know everyone says Sony sucks but my car's red and I thought a nice theme of red amp and then maybe one of those p5 pentagon subs would be nice.
Also, will all those speaker types fit in the proper places. I know our cars are tempremental about speaker size.
front: infinity 6.5 reference 6010cs
tweeters included
Rear: Infinity Reference 6.5 75/225 Watt speakers

I think all of this with help from my kenwood deck mp4032
is a nice starter setup.
i dont wanna sound like an idiot playing music thats distorted for everyone else and have my trunk rattling. I just want something clear, nice, and deep bassed, that's all. simple. :)
Steve

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
forget infinity and sony unless ur on a really low budget. save up a lil more and go with cdt, memphis, or focals... memphis amps will perform much better then sony

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
Most people dog on Infinity because they haven't heard the Kappas. They've just heard the reference which are still good imo. I'll give it to Memphis though too, good quality all around when Infinity lacks in the bass department for speakers. However, that's what they make subs for, therefore, why have bass in the speakers? I'm looking into buying the Infinity VQ subs, :p.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
any of u ever heard focals? its like comparing rosie odonal to that hot ass brazlian victoria secerate model

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
focal is awesome but also about double the price of infinity kappa. He said it sounds like a good starter setup and I agree.

infinity reference are pretty much the best sound you can get from best buy/circuit city/whatever chain shops carry.

If you think you'll be happy with a "Better than stock" system, then go for it. If you think you're gonna buy this and want better, maybe save more and get nicer fronts (kappas, JL, MB Quart) and if you want to really hurt your wallet look at focal, cdt (their high end stuff), rainbow, ED, it comes down to how much you really care. I think if you listen to some better speakers you might change your mind on settling for references.

·
12,918 Posts
Ludasaurus said:
Most people dog on Infinity because they haven't heard the Kappas. They've just heard the reference which are still good imo. I'll give it to Memphis though too, good quality all around when Infinity lacks in the bass department for speakers. However, that's what they make subs for, therefore, why have bass in the speakers? I'm looking into buying the Infinity VQ subs, :p.
You can't compare speaker woofers to subwoofers. Subwoofers just do low frequencies while speaker woofers are gonna do more around the mid frequencies.. you wouldn't want super low frequencies with super high frequencies in your setup.. would sound like crap.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'd say ditch the rears, get a 2 channel amp, and put the money you save towards a better set of front speakers.

Music is 2 stereo, 2 channel, left and right. By adding rears your doing nothing but throwing your sound stage to the rear which is not where the music was intended to be heard from.
You don't go to a concert and stand backwords to the stage do ya? :Rock:

The infinitys arn't bad for budget speakers, sure they're not top of the line, but for the price they are pretty good. But i'd look for another amp then the sony.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I had my probe GT i had just front speakers and it made the sound of the radio feel hollow and echo-ish, i replaced that with 4 sony 3 ways all around and it improved it greatly, so thats the only reason why i think speakers all the way around would be better. although maybe just some cheap sony 4ways in the back, unamplified might do the trick to fill in some gaps.

Im really not looking for spectacular sound, just something better than the stock stuff i have now, including a broken back speaker and no tweeters up front.

I think reference is good quality to start with and the back speakers can just be an afterthought but the amp has to be quality to power all 4 or just the front 2. then I will mono amp a 10" sub seperatly in the trunk

Its all coming off of a kenwood deck which I believe crutchfield(overpriced) rates as way less powerful then my former deck the sony mp630, which was flipdown, motorized, the whole deal, but I had that and 4 sonys and no amp or sub, still sounded decent.

I dunno, paychecks tuesday so ill decide by then I guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts