Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of running seafoam throughout my whole car to clear all of the carbon build up...After I ditch the old regular 5w30 oil, would it be reasonable to switch over to synthetic from then on? Or will have leaks/other problems? Since synthetic is thinner.

My car has 117km's on it....Any info would be appreciated...

·
Sleeper Needs Boost!
2,685 Posts
naw you will be alrignt. But before you switch directly to synthetic; switch to synthetic blend first for an oil change or 2. Then switch to the full synthetic oil.

·
Registered
638 Posts
someone told me that switching to synthetic oil would help reduce the amount of oil ludes burn. i know mine for instance burns alot of oil when sitting idle because whenever i pull out you can see the smoke behind coming from the exhaust

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
Synthetic burns less but on a car with that many miles it probably won't make a difference. IMO synthetic isn't worth it for most people....especially since ludes drink oil and synthetic costs 2 times as much.

That said I have used Mobil One full synthetic since day one....my car burns 1 quart every 4,000 miles which is when I change the oil since synthetic doesn't break down it can go much longer than conventional.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
When I ran synthetic in my 95, I tended to burn a little more than I did with just Honda oil. Granted, I ran synthetic when I first got it, and I drove like bastard.

I grew up a little bit after a couple of nasty tickets.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
synthetic (esp 5w30) is thinner and more vicious (flowing) than regular oil so on a car with over say 50,000 miles that has always run regular oil, switching is probably a bad idea...yea it might burn even more oil and synthetic is at least $5 a quart!

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Walmart is evil.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I switched to Mobil 1 synth after a few cycles of castrol syntech blend. This was at around 85k miles, I noticed the Mobil 1 acually burned less than the conventional oil, but still too much for my liking. I switched over to castrol syntech and I've been with that since, its a very good synth. All oils where 5W-30. I also did a seafoam cleaning my last oil change, it works very well.

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
I have heard a lot of people saying seafoam is bad for an engine since it takes all the residues that were keeping the engine tolerances tight off, it can actually cause increased oil burning as a result!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the info guys

2 thumbs up for seafoam, engine/exhaust sounds way better and the car felt way smoother!

I'll be putting in mobil 1 in a few days

·
Registered
343 Posts
i saw it in autozone just the other day. and hooray for castrol. i noticed castrol came out with 5W20 and it says it formulated for hondas? anyone use it yet?

·
Idiotic Thread Locker!
11,000 Posts
H22A4's burn about 1 quart between oil changes unless the car has been beat on heavily or there is some engine damage or you just got a lemon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts