Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This probably belongs in the General section more than the 2g, but oh well....
Anyways, I had a friend come to me with a motor swap that he wants me to do for him. Without thinking, I said "hell yeah, I can do that." It's turning out to be a fairly straight-forward swap without too much difficulty so far. He's got a 90 CRX with stock D15B1 and 5-speed. In place of the D15, I'm dropping in a complete ZC with new matching 5-speed.
I've got the old engine/trans out already. That's the easy part. Anyone know what kind of things I should watch out for before dropping in the ZC? I already know that I'm gonna have to do some fabrication for the shift linkage, a little rewiring on the dizzy, and I told him I refuse to put it in before changing the t-belt on it. What about motor mounts? Are the mounts gonna line up? Or am I going to need the mounts from the D15? Everything else I've looked at is pretty heads up, so those are my main concerns. Anyone have anything else I'll need to watch out for?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
754 Posts
can you use a first gen teg shift linkage instead of cutting and welding the stock one?

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Zc

If you had a 1st gen Acura teggy ZC early version or JDM ZC from 1st gen CRX or 3rd gen Civic they pretty much drop in pretty easy, but not sure about the one your putting? Pretty much the same as doing a B16 swap as they were designed to have B16 in them from new. Not really sure it's a worth while swap Bhp is a bit more than what you have now but torque will be less so strip out as much weight as you can!! Also to get some torque back ditch the stock exhaust setup run a good brand header like DC or similar and have a 2.25" mandrel bent system put onto it. Cold air intake, increase fuel pressure a little, maybe tweek the throttle body a little, or better still stick some bike carbs or DCOE's on there!!! Might as well stick in a new clutch and lighten the flywheel as it does like to rev to 7250 rpm and that will help especially if you loose lots of weight out the car.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can you use a first gen teg shift linkage instead of cutting and welding the stock one?
Actually I don't plan on cutting and welding the stock linkage. I can get by with making spacers to fit between the c-shaped piece on the stock linkage and the rod from the transmission. They have the same sized hole, I just need to make spacers to fit so there's no slop in the rod to move up and down. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts