Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the notorious rear shock knock that preludes get. Had it for over a year now. I'm also aware of the TSB out there for it and what part to replace it with. Question though. If I never repoace that collar what would eventually happen? Even with the warm weather it does it. Any short term solutions?

Okay since nobody wants to answer, let me make it simpler....

IS IT HARMING MY CAR IN ANY WAY OR IS IT SIMPLY JUST A NOISE?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I spoke with my buddy from honda about it and they told me it's just a noise that is a waste of money to correct... I.E. it causes no harm.

and yes he knew exactly what it was and knew about the TSB that went over it. =D

-Paul

·
2ludes 1s2000
10,675 Posts
nyluder22 said:
I have the notorious rear shock knock that preludes get. Had it for over a year now. I'm also aware of the TSB out there for it and what part to replace it with. Question though. If I never repoace that collar what would eventually happen? Even with the warm weather it does it. Any short term solutions?

If you are speaking of the collar between the two rubber dampers on the strut tower.... dude, just do it.

The part is cheap and the replacement is easy as hell. As far as not doing so? If exposed to the weather it could rust to the shaft of the strut thus becoming nearly impossble and rendering your shock essentially worthless.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
whats a tsb? pics of what this guy's talking about anyone? I haven't had the "knock" but if it shows up i'd like to know how to fix it.

·
HipHopHeadd
1,339 Posts
CruZin89LuDe said:
whats a tsb? pics of what this guy's talking about anyone? I haven't had the "knock" but if it shows up i'd like to know how to fix it.
TSB= Technical service bulletin. In short, car manufacturers distribute information about common problems and solutions and various other info for their cars. You don't have to worry about shock knock man, you have already gone through your suspension.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
good point, i guess I forgot about that

·
Registered
670 Posts
Yea I think Im just starting to gett the noise. My 98 Prelude is at 46,000 miles and everytime I put the pedal to the floor and it gets up there, I hear a knock noise on my passenger side. I can't tell if its at the front or back. Help would be cool. What is this part that is common to replace everyone is talkin about?

·
the 'lude makes me poor.
2,421 Posts
i think i'm getting this to, when i'm acellerating in 1'st or second and let off the gas to shift i heard sort of a clunking sound? is this what your talking about, also it seems to be worse the colder the car is,

·
Registered
670 Posts
poet said:
i think i'm getting this to, when i'm acellerating in 1'st or second and let off the gas to shift i heard sort of a clunking sound? is this what your talking about, also it seems to be worse the colder the car is,
Yea when I accelerate too in 1st or 2nd, I hear a "clunking" noise on the passenger side, but can't tell if its rear or front noise. Does anyone know what part this is or what the problem could be?

·
Registered
219 Posts
The clunking noise during accelerating might be somthing different. When you let off the gas your car pitches forward, which wouldn't cause the "shock knock" problem that I'm familiar with.

The problem I had was when I would go over potholes and speedbumps, the top mount of my rear suspension would get compressed too much and the damper mounting collar would hit the washer below it (i think).

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
nyluder22 said:

more and likey its your shocks going bad. its not harmfull... YET. the knocking sound is just any other sound out there to make you all worry.
i am having the same problem.. when i come to a stop.. i hear a knocking sound and it doesnt seem to be going away. its more like a tapping/knocking sound on my right rear end shocks. i will have it check out this weekend.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
anyone have a pic of the tsb or the document in a pdf file. I think i seen it before somewhere. I just want proof when i go the dealer and tell them to fix the damn thing. You know they will sometimes act stupid and say they don;t know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The other day I took my trunk trim out around the passenger side shock tower. The right is always worse because that the beat up side of the road. I leaned back and watched as I went over bumps and it's not as bad as it sounds. With my 89 lude I sat back there and had someone drive and you could actually see the shock shooting up through the tower. Meineke just added washers as a temporary fix. My 99 however does not move as much. It seems as if there is something broken inside the mount and its moving left and right as well as up and down but only slighlty. Honda is looking at my steering rack this weekend. I'm gonna address the shock situation and bring the TSB paperwork to the tech's attention when I go. I will let you all know the outcome.

BTW: Here is the link to the TSB

http://www.members.shaw.ca/FifthGenTSB1/00-090.Rear%20Shock%20Knock.gif

1 - 18 of 18 Posts