Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At one end at least.
Finally had time to get my new coilovers test fitted today. Well the fronts at least, the rears are going on tomorrow barring any mis-haps with my guesstimations.

Had lots of issues to work around as these have no fitment at all for any Prelude, and I've got a few sets for trial fitting and testing on my track ITRs & Civs.
So thought I'd spec a set for my own use and make my own top and bottom plates/brackets.
Pillowball tops.

I've had them dyno tested (friend builds and tests suspension for Penske) and the results were impressive.

On a quick run around the block (actually back lanes) they are exactly as I'd expect, firm but controlled. Not harsh at all.
Hopefully it will be dry tomorrow afternoon and I can go test the full kit properly. :spinface:

Quite low, too low for my local roads so it's back up to the height it was at with the Tokico Blues and Eibach Pros.
Sent the Blues in for dyno testing as well as I'm curious what they're damping is like after 5+ years and 70k+ of road and track abuse.

·
Memento Mori
7,501 Posts
Who makes the dampers? Are these originally for a civic or teg model? (Always thought you could fit them easy with a re-drilled top hat.)

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't say right now until they've agreed to go public on them. (only right I do as they ask) but will say very soon.
These are ITR /civic fitment originally. But the top mounts are different(need re-drilling mostly) and the bottom forks are very different. Rears are moreso different. Ideally these need to be a little longer in the body but TBH all the major names use the same stock bodies on their supposedly model specific kits.
I've assembled them from various parts from other cars whilst working through the options to eventually have them made to my spec. The rears are a work of art :lol:

I did consider getting K-Sports but the price put me off, even with a good US dollar price the exchange rate recently went all stupid so that's a no-go. And the Ks adjust the damping the wrong way for me, these do it the right way. Adn as you can see in that dyno graph, the adjustment is extremely linear and very well spaced and defined over the adjustment.

Once I've run these in I have the option of getting the damping adjusted(at Penske) to suit what I want and whatever spring rate I decide to use. At the moment that is the usual 12kgmm fr & 7kgmm rr. Quite high for a car that weighs in at 1030kg.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
IMO, 12k front 8k rear would be ideal for autocross.
and 10k front 6k rear would be ideal for a street romper and occasional track romper.
or 10k front 7k rear if using much stiffer sway bars could be ideal for track/autocross

how much travel do these coilovers have? one of the other problems i have with the ksports is very minimal amount of travel.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again, as they are meant for the ITR they have that travel. About 2" or so. At least as much as the Ks and the Toks only have 2.5" or so.
Although I can get other bodies for these but as this is purely experimental it's something that may be followed up at some point. For now I just have these sets and they don't make any for the Lude so I'm doing all the ground-work for them (or rather for me really).
And as I'm sure you appreciate Steve, half the fun is in the making it fit and work rather than the ultimate end result. :)

Spring rates. I'd tend to agree mostly.
But as this is my daily driver and it's exceptionally competitive in the wet I don't want to spoil that part of it too much. And going any stiffer will do that. I have some 9kgmm and 6kgmm springs here that I may try at some point anyway but not until I've worked these properly first.
Also have two sets of 14kgmm that I'm considering using for a certain track I go to.

·
Memento Mori
7,501 Posts
In your experience do most threaded dampers like these use the same thread spacing and pitch? I'm wondering if I could upgrade to these in the future and reuse all the K-Sport hardware on them, that would be great. And they use Penske components too?

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
In your experience do most threaded dampers like these use the same thread spacing and pitch? I'm wondering if I could upgrade to these in the future and reuse all the K-Sport hardware on them, that would be great. And they use Penske components too?
in my experience they do. at least most of the name brand stuff does

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In your experience do most threaded dampers like these use the same thread spacing and pitch? I'm wondering if I could upgrade to these in the future and reuse all the K-Sport hardware on them, that would be great.
Most do. Although I have come across some spurious ones. But usually if the bodies are the same size they use the same thread. I'll pull a K ring off something and try it. And maybe a Tein and D2 or whatever is around.
And they use Penske components too?
These don't (to our knowledge) but my man at Penske can rebuild/rework pretty much anything.

·
Memento Mori
7,501 Posts
I'll pull a K ring off something and try it. And maybe a Tein and D2 or whatever is around.
That would be awesome to know if you find the time.

These don't (to our knowledge) but my man at Penske can rebuild/rework pretty much anything.
That's good to know.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it ios for me as they are onyl 5 miles from where I am.

Rears are now on and everythig nwent a little too easily for my liking.

now is the greater task of gettign the heights sorted, corner weighting and tweakig nto suit my needs.

Then working on what I can change to make them better/more suited.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What?
So that someone on the internet can run off with it and pretend it's all their own work? :lol:

I may do if it's of benefit to anyone. Although sometimes you try to help people with this stuff and they just tell you you're wrong and get some sleeves and slam their car instead.
But yes, it all depends on the company as it's for them really so as long as it's OK then of course. They may even offer them for sale at some point but as they're UK(importing the basics) based that may or may not happen.
Still a lot of work on the R&D to be done yet though, and I'll only be happy after a few thousand miles and a few days track testing.
Watch this space.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
What?
So that someone on the internet can run off with it and pretend it's all their own work? :lol:

I may do if it's of benefit to anyone. Although sometimes you try to help people with this stuff and they just tell you you're wrong and get some sleeves and slam their car instead.
But yes, it all depends on the company as it's for them really so as long as it's OK then of course. They may even offer them for sale at some point but as they're UK(importing the basics) based that may or may not happen.
Still a lot of work on the R&D to be done yet though, and I'll only be happy after a few thousand miles and a few days track testing.
Watch this space.
Eh, I'll most likely be traveling in Italy in several months anyway. I can make a sidetrip to grab some shocks, whether or not the info behind them is public.8)

Will these be truly double adjustable, or te rebound/damping adjusted simultaneously like the k-sport? Wasn't fond of the k-sport on another application, I'd rather have another option.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Look forward to hearing more info.

Subscribed.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
why your brake caliper says NSX?

care to explain?
Fitting with the true definition of a Luder..

PreludeDefinition:3. introductory event or occurrence: an event or action that introduces or precedes something else, especially something longer and more important

I was the pioneer of the 4G Lude big brake conversion and then the NSX brake swap.
They have NSX on them because they are NSX calipers.

Sully, these are only one way adjustable but different to the Ks & most other one-way adjustables in that they adjust rebound rather than compression in that ratio.
If you're over this way give me a shout nearer the time, you never know :headbang:

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well not had chance to really try these yet as it's either been wet or I've been using the BMW.

Had a quick drive down the back lanes just to get a feel for them.
Initially thought they may be a bit stiff for our bumpy roads. Particularly with my car being light and the short travel of these.
But not bad at all. Obviously much less forgiving than the Toks/Eibachs as they're not progressively sprung. But they're quite compliant and very well damped. Not moved them from the softest setting yet.
A little bit understeery but could easily be the road conditions. Will find out when it dries.

also had news that the Tokico dampers have tested quite well for their 5+yrs and 70k+ miles. Will reveal results once I get them myself. Be a good indication of how the Tokico Blues cope with use.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts