Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I had my motor swap done the guy who sourced the engine for me said it was a B20A5. Well today was the first time I've actually gunned it getting on the freeway and it felt almost as quick as my first lude (had B20A w/IHE) so when I got home I was thinking of doing an oil change (no odometer and it's been a little while) and decided to check the engine stamp code. Wiped it down a little and here's what I found

Never thought to check the engine stamp cuz I thought "this guy knows what he's talking about, it's a B20A5" and how I didn't notice it during the swap is beyond me. Yeah I shit myself. Now plans are turbo and not H22. Awesome.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nice.I picked up my parts car last weekend(90 si)thinking is was b21a1 but when i got there to pick it up SURPRISE...b20A.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
B20A vs. B20A5, the A has iron sleves and the A5 doesnt. correct me if im wrong
The b20a5 and b20a have iron sleeves. The b21 has the FRM.

The only differences between the b20a and the a5 are that the b20a has slightly higher compression than the a5 and they b20a's did not have as much emissions equipment in the cars they came from.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
So when I had my motor swap done the guy who sourced the engine for me said it was a B20A5. Well today was the first time I've actually gunned it getting on the freeway and it felt almost as quick as my first lude (had B20A w/IHE) so when I got home I was thinking of doing an oil change (no odometer and it's been a little while) and decided to check the engine stamp code. Wiped it down a little and here's what I found

Never thought to check the engine stamp cuz I thought "this guy knows what he's talking about, it's a B20A5" and how I didn't notice it during the swap is beyond me. Yeah I shit myself. Now plans are turbo and not H22. Awesome.
Lucky you. Grats. When I bought my 88 S model thinking it had a B20A3 POS in it and found out that it did have a B20A3 POS in it, that sucked :laugh:
Not anymore though.

Great find, I hope she does what you want after you get done with it. :emthup:

Good luck

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm glad you guys discussed the boost topic. I've gotten on my B21a1 a couple of times before it died and this motor does feel faster on the butt dyno.

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
its amazing how much the letter A and the number 5 can change someones mind, or i should say the lack of a 5..lol

good luck with the turbo build i guess.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
nice! thats why buying stuff from junk yards is somuch fun! you never know what you may score!

good luck with the turbo build

·
Registered
8,088 Posts
he never said it came from a junk yard... he just had someone else find and install the motor. They prolly got it from a motor importer.

Its actually odd, cuz the same exact thing happened to me with my first lude. My motor blew a rod, & i just asked the guy to order me a 2.0 instead of a 2.1 (2.05) again. I get the thing back and i was chirping 3rd gear w/ just some run of the mill clutch. i was like wtf??? I checked out the engine code then a few weeks after i got it back & surely enough... b20a. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts