Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone else has subwoofers, and still has the stock head unit in. I have 2 12" subs with 1000 watt amp. I was wondering how much power I am loosing with keeping the stock unit. I think it should hit harder that it does cuz of the stock unit, but I'm to cheap to buy a new head unit.....just for that

·
12,918 Posts
... the amplifier powers the subs.. not the headunit. The only thing that'll be better when a newer head unit is having more options for equalizing and all that.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
what's the crossover frequency? did you have someone that knows what they're doing to "tune" the amp, etc. what type of amp is it? i myself turn my cross over up so that it hits only on the heavy bass and is more rock oriented i guess.. just "there" for the extra boom, not eardrum battering.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
buying a better head unit can get you cleaner bass, and I guess it could be louder too. Aftermarket decks have rcas that will send the signal to your amp instead of coming from a low pass filter or something in line. Your regular speakers will sound WAY better with a nice deck, stock deck is like 10-15 watts, aftermarket runs about 20-25 (rms). The amps with hgher voltage pre-outs tend to be more expensive, and I think they really make the bass sound nicer, bu that could be in my head.

·
12,918 Posts
CruZin89LuDe said:
buying a better head unit can get you cleaner bass, and I guess it could be louder too. Aftermarket decks have rcas that will send the signal to your amp instead of coming from a low pass filter or something in line. Your regular speakers will sound WAY better with a nice deck, stock deck is like 10-15 watts, aftermarket runs about 20-25 (rms). The amps with hgher voltage pre-outs tend to be more expensive, and I think they really make the bass sound nicer, bu that could be in my head.
Yeah aftermarket headunits are more like 16-22 rms though.
A 50x4w headunit will be 18wrms.. haha not too powerful.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2qu1k4u said:
what's the crossover frequency? did you have someone that knows what they're doing to "tune" the amp, etc. what type of amp is it? i myself turn my cross over up so that it hits only on the heavy bass and is more rock oriented i guess.. just "there" for the extra boom, not eardrum battering.
how the hang would I know. I got 1000 watt Pyramid amp. I use my itrip on my ipod, instead of cd's, but when I do use cd's, there is like no bass at all. It's almost like, I don't even have subs. But with the itrip, it sounds decent.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
deck power is irrelevant to a lot of people because they use a different amp for their speakers anyway, pre-outvoltage, crossovers/eqs. and easy to read display are my HU requirements. ANd now Ipod connectivity.

and yeah you're right luda, 16-22 is probably more realistic

·
Registered
174 Posts
am i the only one who prefers the look of stock headunits? the way the lighting, buttons and colour match the rest of the interior theme?

i personally would try my best to incorporate the stock headunit into my system. simply because its aesthetically sleeker. let the amp do all the work.

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
my hu matches the rest of my lights very nicely, but I can change the color to pretty much whatever I want. The main stuff is greenish which looks very clean at night. There are a lot that look like ass though, my sisters RED sony lights look like ass with the rest of her car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts