Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so here is my problem. i got a alpine type-e 10" sub and i want to make a basic box out of 3/4 mdf. i was thinking of making a sealed one ( ported seems too hard) but i got a little confused with the box volume.
i pulled the specs and found out my subs sealed box volume is: 0.6-1.25 cu. ft
so heres the question, would the enclosure sound different if the boc was .8cu. ft compared to if it was 1.2 cu. ft?
how would frequency be effected ?

i thought it would be a simple weekend project to make but it is getting frustrating so please help me out here guys.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yPFWuav7jez/p_500SWE1042/Alpine-SWE-1042.html
that's the specs of my sub woofer ^^^

p.s. i listen to mostly hip-hop & rap so enclosure with low bass would be sweet

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
the bigger the sealed box gets, the lower its resonant frequency (and the lower your speaker will play down to).

a little sealed box will sound high and tight, while a larger sealed box will sound low and loose.

since you are putting the speaker in a pretty small cabin, i'd edge more towards the bigger side...

since you are listening to bass heavy music, i'd edge more towards the bigger side.

but most of all, i'd use the specs in some box-building software and see where the curve looks best.

i tried that...but the calculator i've always used suggests the speaker should be in a 6 cubic foot ported box...or (tho not recommended) a 8 cubic foot sealed box.

alpine and crutchfield must know something the mathematics experts do not.

so, if i trusted alpine and their giant window of a recommendation, i'd build a box that was 1 cubic foot on the inside.

·
Registered
68 Posts
IMO Alpine's always like their larger recommended enclosures, and they definately like ported over sealed. Go with 1.25 sealed.
I have box design software, if you want me to mock somethin up or find you a cut list, just pm me.
- Shane

Reactions: dawg316

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
IMO Alpine's always like their larger recommended enclosures, and they definately like ported over sealed. Go with 1.25 sealed.
I have box design software, if you want me to mock somethin up or find you a cut list, just pm me.
- Shane
or, if your pushed on the matter and can't descide, go with the middle, and make it 1cu.ft. all will sound good given the sub is in proper order, and the amp is wired correctly.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, im probably gonna make a nice .8-1 ft3 box. would depth matter or dose volumer matter only ?

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Shape shouldn't matter aside from having the sub actually fit inside the box and clear the back. Make sure to account for the woofer's actual displacement when making your size calculations... a 1 cu. ft. box is actually 1.3 cu. ft. when you put a sub that displaces .3 cubes in it.

Volume is really your only concern however.

If you want to make a ported box, I found this calculator to help me design my first ported box and it worked very very well for me.

http://reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

Now as far as tuning frequency and all that goes, I never had a very firm understanding of that, but that calculator will give you a cut list for whatever you want to do, assembly is pretty easy assuming you have some basic 9th grade wood shop skills.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very nice calculator. great find.

p.s. good thing i dropped wood shop in grade 10 instead of grade 9

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
If you want to make a ported box, I found this calculator to help me design my first ported box and it worked very very well for me.

http://reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

that calc is nice if you know what volume box you need to have.

alpines giant ass window doesn't give us a very narrow place from which to start, volume wise....and volume calcs keep spitting out 8 sealed cubic feet which is 6400% to 10,000% bigger than alpine suggests.

so, if you stick with one foot, that calc will design you a nice box.

but god only knows how your speaker is going to sound in it.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
With a quick calc (using all the available driver parameters) I reckon that would work well in a vented box of 30 litres, one vent of 3" and 16cm long (or any variation to get that equivalent) (which is tuned to 45Hz).

A sealed box of 27litres would work but won't be as solid a sound nor as loud.
Will give a flatter frequecncy response but TBH in a car the vented would work better.

Could give you other options easy enough if you want them.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
metric.grr im canadian and i hate it. if somebody can draw me up or sketch me up a blueprint for a box i would much apriciate it.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Actually if you give me two mins I'll upload the freguency plot of both those options.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
metric.grr im canadian and i hate it. if somebody can draw me up or sketch me up a blueprint for a box i would much apriciate it.
Sorry but I'm taking time out to do the difficult things and you moan about doing a very very simple conversion .................. :eek2:

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
Anyway for what it's worth..
The box needs to be 1cu.ft
So approx 13"x13"x13"
Not that I'd make a square box but that's up to you and where you want it to fit.
Port needs to be 3" and 6.5" long. Best positioned in the front panel away from the driver.

Yellow plot is the sealed box, the green is the vented.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry im just frusterated right now. i no im being an ass hat right now.

thanks for the info

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
You'd be better using a shorter port length and tuning it around 45Hz rather than 37Hz.
And making the enclosure slightly bigger.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
With a quick calc (using all the available driver parameters) I reckon that would work well in a vented box of 30 litres, one vent of 3" and 16cm long (or any variation to get that equivalent) (which is tuned to 45Hz).

A sealed box of 27litres would work but won't be as solid a sound nor as loud.
Will give a flatter frequecncy response but TBH in a car the vented would work better.

Could give you other options easy enough if you want them.
what software are you using?

my old standby (http://www.bcae1.com/spboxad2.htm) comes back with 7.9 ft^3 sealed and 5.9 ft^3 ported (port being 4"x11", basically) when i plug in a fs of 33hz, a Qts of .66, and a Vas of 1.165384 ft^3.

other calcs i used in the past came up with similar numbers.

i'm interested to know what you used...and what data you found/entered (i had to go looking for the fs).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts