Honda Prelude Forum banner

Sub box for 12in. Kicker L7

6K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  jvlude23 
#1 ·
Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me build a ported box for my 12in kicker L7. I was looking at this... http://www.ehow.com/how_5076996_build-ported-box-kicker-l.html ...and it looks pretty straight forward. Then I measured the trunk and saw I have an area to work with of about 27"wide x 24"deep x ~13.5" high... So what I don't get is how to calculate the interior volume because the formulas when I searched on google were complicated as hell and make no sense to me (remember it's ported).

it should be 3.25ft^3 interior volume with a port that's 3" x 13.25" and a length of 14.5"

#6 ·
False.

A properly tuned ported enclosure will produce alot better low end sound than a sealed enclosure. It's simply a more efficient design.

Don't believe me? Walk into your local high end home theater dealer. Look at the subwoofer setups costing $3000+ You will not find a sealed enclosure among them.

#15 · (Edited)
There are many diffrent styles of port... Alot of people use winISD to design thier boxes and use a simple round port. (Hint: 4" PVC makes an excellent port tube) The L port has some advantages, as far as enclosure size goes, because it uses a wall of the enclosure as a port. The downside being you can experience port noise if you don't "round off" the 90* bend a bit. Same can be said for round port tubes without flared ends.

You don't have to keep the L shape with that calculator either... just enter 0 as the length of the "bend" Round the edges of that board though. A roundover bit on a router would be ideal, but I'm sure you could just sand it with a dremel or likewise.

#17 ·
I had an L5 with a 3 cubic foot aero-ported box tuned to 30 hz frequency it sounded amazing on those real low hitting songs. It basically all depends on the kind of music you listen to some boxes handles lower bass better, other boxes handle higher bass. It all depends on what your looking for and people that say the SQ on the L7 is not good know nothing about what they are saying. L7's have great SQ but their SPL does outway their SQ and SQ can vary from person to person not everyone is the same.

#19 ·
Blue mostly.

Although a little wood filler putty and some sanding wouldn't hurt on the red edge too. When air tries to bend around those sharp corners (flowing in and out of the enclosure) it tends to "snap" and produce port noise... Hence the rounding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.