Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
New title is new
Joined
·
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So bear with me for a moment, while i lay out a timeline of my alternators lately:

August 05: Prelude alternator brushes wear out, $30 later, new brushes, works again.

November 05: TR7 alternator melts. Yes, MELTS, the insides dripped down, the plastic boiled, it's history. $105 for a 110amp generic alt off ebay, combined with three brackets bolted together, and it works, bout double the amps too.

December 05: Prelude alternator melts. Yup, once again, fucking MELTS! $120 (yay shop accounts), new(ok, rebuilt bosch) alternator, everything works again.

Yesterday, five miles from Chico, CA (and my gf's house): At the end of a 224 mile drive, alternator light comes on, then blinks for a while, then goes solid on, blinking off and back on at random times.




I am not pleased, i have no tools, no charging system (i assume, if i had a volt meter i could test it, but noooo) no nothing, and a battery that may or may not run the car for the 4.5 hours it requires to get home.


Bah.
 

·
JDM fo lyf y0
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
Damn mate that really sucks, but you have to ask why these alternators are failing so badly, maybe you've got a short somewhere draining ALOT of juice?
 

·
New title is new
Joined
·
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, there is a drain somewhere, so the alternator has to work a bit to recharge the battery the next morning (not a very large drain mind you, a rather small one).

But... i mean.... jeez, thats it's job :p


The tr7 one was a lucas alternator. Lucas being the Prince of Darkness (seriously, ask any mechanic who's worked on british cars, or any owner who works on their own), it's not terribly surprising, just annoying.

Now the TR7 has a Perkins alt, donno what to say about that :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
did it just die? or lose it's tension? all you need is like a monkey wrench or something similiar to loosen it right? your gf doesnt even have a wrench or pliers? I used to have a whole 73 peice tool set in my lude for such occasions lol. and i carry a low pro floor jack 2.5 ton hehe.
 

·
New title is new
Joined
·
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She doesn't have enough tools for me to attack an alternator. the 3g prelude alts are a bit buried, doing it with the tools here.... ugh.

The belt is tight, something inside the alt has come loose, or something in the dash relating to the idiot light if i'm really lucky.


EDIT:
lol, thread title got snipped, guess i should have left out a few words.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,880 Posts
You need to check the warranty of parts before you buy them. Would have saved you quite a bit of money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,866 Posts
Bobnova said:
She doesn't have enough tools for me to attack an alternator. the 3g prelude alts are a bit buried, doing it with the tools here.... ugh.

The belt is tight, something inside the alt has come loose, or something in the dash relating to the idiot light if i'm really lucky.


EDIT:
lol, thread title got snipped, guess i should have left out a few words.....
I hope they rebuilt your alt right and replaced the diode pack and brushes. If it was a hack job it was just the brushes. It cost me about $60 to rebuild my alt. new brushes and diode pack. There's a guy who sells denso alt parts on ebay cheap.
 

·
New title is new
Joined
·
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First time was just brushes, Bosch had better have actually rebuilt it, but knowing their spark plugs, i have my doubts.

It should have a year warrenty on it, i'ma discuss this with the parts house when i get home.

Assuming i get home.
 

·
no mo mod
Joined
·
13,011 Posts
you should buy the lifetime warranty alternators. saves SOME of the headache :razz:

that totally sucks ass man.

is there an autozone or checker/schucks/kragen anywhere near you? they can test the charging system.

you could always buy a cheapo multi meter from somewhere :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,866 Posts
Bobnova said:
First time was just brushes, Bosch had better have actually rebuilt it, but knowing their spark plugs, i have my doubts.

It should have a year warrenty on it, i'ma discuss this with the parts house when i get home.

Assuming i get home.
Looks like you going have to get to autozone and charge the battery. Then just
keep doing it until you get home. Or buy a spare then take it back the next day.
 

·
New title is new
Joined
·
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bought a cheap(near-junk) multimeter and tested the alt, it's 90% dead, something has come lose inside, i can hear it rumble and rattle and grind, great sound. Occasionally it produces a volt or two, but nothing worth while.

Seeing as my battery is at least seven years old already, and KNOWN to be a bit weak (still ok, but not full strength), i called every parts store open on sundays to find the biggest battery they had, it turned out to be a Napa store, and they had a 800ca/650cca battery for $84, including the core charge.

That battery went in the trunk, i'm going to drive as far as i can on my battery, then toss the new one in if/when it finally gives up.

I'll use the old one to power my burgler zapper, it'll work fine for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,866 Posts
Bobnova said:
Bought a cheap(near-junk) multimeter and tested the alt, it's 90% dead, something has come lose inside, i can hear it rumble and rattle and grind, great sound. Occasionally it produces a volt or two, but nothing worth while.

Seeing as my battery is at least seven years old already, and KNOWN to be a bit weak (still ok, but not full strength), i called every parts store open on sundays to find the biggest battery they had, it turned out to be a Napa store, and they had a 800ca/650cca battery for $84, including the core charge.

That battery went in the trunk, i'm going to drive as far as i can on my battery, then toss the new one in if/when it finally gives up.

I'll use the old one to power my burgler zapper, it'll work fine for that.
I would put money on the diode pack flaking. Loose screw?
 

·
New title is new
Joined
·
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe, it sounds like something is grinding on something else, but internal alternator repair isn't my forte, so i don't really know.


The burgler zapper consists of a MR2 coil, a GM HEI ignitor, a 12v battery, a trigger wheel run by small electric motor, and a on/off switch.

In evil mode, the coil is plugged into the doorknob, and there is a fine metal screen on the floor connected to the B- post, if you turn the knob it turns the motor on, which blasts out three or four hundred sparks per minute, at about 70k volts.

Shocking, to say the least!

I accidentally got one in my left thumb, up my arm, across my chest, down the other arm, and out the other thumb.
Just one spark, but holy hell, that tossed me back a bit, 70k volts is a lot of volts!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top