Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 92 prelude with a 95 JDM H22a engine. It has a hi flow cat back with an apex i exhuast and dc headers. The problem is the very strong smell of gas from the exhaust (Absolutely no smell on the inside). Also when I shut it down there is a loud hiss from the exhaust as well. Please help. Thanks

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Hi,

I have a 92 prelude with a 95 JDM H22a engine. It has a hi flow cat back with an apex i exhuast and dc headers. The problem is the very strong smell of gas from the exhaust (Absolutely no smell on the inside). Also when I shut it down there is a loud hiss from the exhaust as well. Please help. Thanks
your 100% you smell gas and not an alcohol type smell? if so and your using red anti freeze it could be you leaking anti freeze on your exhaust and your hearing it sizzle on the piping but if it is gas mang you dont what to slap dick around as a sight of a burning lude comes to mind :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not an alcohol type smell. Gas/fuel smell, its pretty toxic. It use regular 50/50 antifreeze that is slightly yellow. Also it's a hisss and no sizzles. O2 sensor or fuel filter or something is stuck maybe???

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
is the cat-back on totally proper... i had a problem like this in another car and my exhaust was burning through my gas tank... crazy i know but was similar

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I jacked it up and inspected the all the exhuast pipes there seems to be no hole and bolts look secure. There is tar on the surface of one of the pipes before the cat, but i don't think thats the problem. Should I install a new cat??

·
Registered
594 Posts
Do a valve adjustment and see if you still smell it. If your exhaust valves are stuck open, on compression stroke, most of your fuel will go out the exhaust and leave hardly anything to be burned.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
sounds normal to me......as far as the hissing.......if you have an aftermarket intake and cone filter.....its more than likely just your TB shutting off the air

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do I do a valve adjustment? Timing? Are you talking about my fuel injectors? Ya I have a short ram intake with a cone filter so.... that hiss is from the throttle body? I sounds like its from the exhaust though...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Search around and you will find a DIY for valve adjustment. Really easy to do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
check all your fluids bro, i had that same problem but the reason was that i had over filled my motor with oil lol i took some oil of and it stopped so... , but is the smell rich like, like does it smell rich or nasty?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts