Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
iamNOTerator
5,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and it looks like most trunk leaks come from around the taillights but for whatever reason, since I got this new trunk lid (from a junk yard) mine gets condensation on the inside of the trunk lid and drips onto the carpet. I never remembered my old trunk lid doing this

if you still don't understand whats going on I can take a picture but its basically condensation on the inside of my trunk lid a long the top, which drips onto the carpet. Is there supposed to be a membrane to prevent condensation getting in there that maybe this new lid doesn't have?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
is the replacement OEM? Why not compare the old and "new" and see the difference? Only thing I can think of is that the "new" one is made of a different type/thickness of metal or something....

No membrane here!

·
Registered
449 Posts
do you guys have a cover on the inside of the trunk lid or is it bare metal and have you checked the rubber around the lip of the trunk cuz a tiny crack will let water into the trunk. every car i have ever owned ended up leaking water in the trunk. strange now that i think of it

·
8====D ---> ( | ) = win
1,663 Posts
Its most likely coming in from the rear lights seals....

I patched mine up with some weatherproof silicon and its been dry back there ever since [including condensation, it seeps in the same way as water]

As for the trunklid, check the alignment, might be it.
also double check those tailight seals.... never know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I patched mine up with some weatherproof silicon and its been dry back there ever since [including condensation, it seeps in the same way as water]

]i agree with him. a guy iwas going to buy a lude from before had the same problem. i thought it was because of a prior accident.. I guess the new lid is not placed in right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
my trunk condensates in the morning but not to the point that it drips on the carpet. i'll probably try the silicone. Wat kind of silicone did u use?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Be careful sealing it up, you might be rusting yourself out. I chose to just let the water flow on through and unplugged the plug in the bottom of the trunk. Haven't seen water buildup since.

·
Registered
526 Posts
during the disassembly of the wreck i noticed there are tubes connected to the sun roof under the inside body trim the tubes are on both side and look like draining tubes. the tubes go into the trunk....

could this be the phantom condensation?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
during the disassembly of the wreck i noticed there are tubes connected to the sun roof under the inside body trim the tubes are on both side and look like draining tubes. the tubes go into the trunk....

could this be the phantom condensation?
Wait, the tubes go into the trunk or through the trunk? There should be an elbow that makes them route the water out of the trunk. They shouldnt just drain all the water into the trunk.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hey, I had this problem for the longest, water always getting in my trunk so I decided to fix it today after 3 years of owning the car( i kno im lazy). So ok here is the deal, most likely the leak is coming from around the taillights, why? It is because the rubber groments(gaskets w/e we call them) that goes aroung the housing starts to become brittle and flake after so many years. How did I fix it? First remove the six bolts on the back of the housing(simple). and remove the taillight. If there is water in the taillight go ahead and set it in the sun or dry for a day so the water will evaporate. Clean around the frame of the car where the lights came off(should be a lot of dirt and crap). Now, you have 2 choices: A)Go buy some new gaskets for the lights from Honda or B) clean them, and caulk them back on. Hope this helps -mike

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I got the same problem, theres ice in my trunk now. My first thought were the tail lights but where the water is would seem that its coming from further up than tail lights. I'm actually thinking its coming through my spoiler mounting holes and yes theres a spoiler mounted on there along with its thin gasket. Its very rusted underneath but you cant see it with the spoiler over. The weather stripping that goes around is another suspect, too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts