Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I am working on my 91 SI 4WS, and am having two problems...

1. There is a loud engine knock, almost sounds like a diesel when running.

Here is what I have done:

I took the valve cover off, and did Water Pump, all belts including timing, new seals on Crank Shaft, Cams, Valve Cover, oil change, radiator flush,

Other recent work: Car failed smog. So I pulled the cluster apart and replaced Check Engine Light (CA Smog) 02 sensor, EGR Valve, EGR Solenoid. (passed smog now, but my Engine code is now blinking 12 EGR problems, ill look into this tommorrow)

2. When I accelerate off the line, the Transmission Seems OK. But if I am in 2nd gear, rolling, and floor it, it seems like the clutch of the Automatic Transmission is pressed in, the engine revs to redline, but the car does not move.

Does anyone have any advice?

Should I just replace the engine and tranny? Any place in Southern California Reccommended? (low cost preferred, and I can do alot of the work myself)

I plan to update my profile and tell you all my story soon...
Short Version:
I am a Prelude fan since 1988. I owned an 88 SI in 1990, then a 91 SI in 1999-2001 and some one crashed it and totaled it.

I have been in search of a clean 91 4WS since 2001 and was unlucky for many years.

Recently, I found one that had a really clean interior, but needs lots of work on engine, paint, transmission, emissions, axles, etc.

I plan to make this car back to a new, stock 1991 Prelude 4WS.

I was a Car Stereo installer for about 15 years, and now I work in the 12 Volt industry for a major Automotive OEM Electronics Company.

I look forward to talking with you guys.

I am an available resource when it comes to car electronics.

·
Premium Member
4,656 Posts
as far as the knocking, that is bad, i would def not try to push to rev limit. have you checked your trans fluid, level, color, odor things like that. a flush may be in order. if you don't know the history i would get it flushed and filled with a new filter as well. the knock is common to this car due to lack of proper maintenance. this is all stuff that you can do yourself. you will however need some specialty tools. ie hoist engine stand. the cars manual is on this site and downloadable for free. its in the stickies. very usefull tool in itself. welcome to the forum, and i used to be in the mobile electronics business too. thanks to circuit city though i no longer do this.

·
Registered
710 Posts

Did you pull the clock fuse under the hood for 10 seconds to reset the ECU?

Sounds like you got the B21 engine. You should consider getting an H22a w/transmission for a replacement if in fact it is a B21. I have been looking for a good 91 SI 4WS as well to do an H22a swap. The H22a's are relatively cheap if doing all your own install and there are good books detailing the swap. Here to of course for queries, as well as http://www.prelude3g.com/.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
well hey, you live in southern cali, one of the number one places for JDM motor imports...

youl be just fine if you open up your local yellow pages...

B20a for FTW!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Oh boy, the second gear thrust bearing issue. I just got past that nightmare myself. I ordered a tranny from some asshole in Virgina named Noyan from NoyanUSA NEVER EVER USE HIM... just fair warning. Anyway. That sounds to me like the same prblem I had which means that if your fluid is fine do not replace it! It can make it worse. I had to get my old one rebuilt its pricey... and then some. What is the mileage?

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
High Mileage

I bought the car used at 203K (happy just to find a clean title 4WS 1991!) so I expect to replace or rebuild the tranny and engine, and just about everything else... haha

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If you rev up and dont go then it sounds to me your tourqe converter is bad But dont just take my word for it. I might be wrong, I was told that is what is wrong with my explorer, and it does the same thing

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Little more detail

Oh boy, the second gear thrust bearing issue. I just got past that nightmare myself. I ordered a tranny from some asshole in Virgina named Noyan from NoyanUSA NEVER EVER USE HIM... just fair warning. Anyway. That sounds to me like the same prblem I had which means that if your fluid is fine do not replace it! It can make it worse. I had to get my old one rebuilt its pricey... and then some. What is the mileage?
Could you give me more details about what needs to be done? How much you paid... how the car drives after, any caveats?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
if its tapping it could just need a valve adjustment..other than that rebuild or replace the engine. if your going to replace the engine you might as well do a manual swap and not worry about the tranny failing again,unless you break the manual tranny that is lol. either way take lots of pictures so we can see the progress on you lude!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Knock Problem Solved!! - Valve Adjustment Only

if its tapping it could just need a valve adjustment..other than that rebuild or replace the engine. if your going to replace the engine you might as well do a manual swap and not worry about the tranny failing again,unless you break the manual tranny that is lol. either way take lots of pictures so we can see the progress on you lude!

Team,

I just performed a valve adustment (.07 on Exhaust Side and .04 on Intake Side) and in completely solved my engine knock problem, and overall performance! It runs really nice now...
Also, before the valve adjustment, I had a Check Engine light on showing EGR problems (Code 12, but I had just replaced my EGR Valve)

I'd reccommend to anyone who has a Check Engine light Code 12, perform a valve adjustment.

Final check will be a compression check to see the motor's condition...

For the transmission, I just performed a test drive and here are the findings :

From Stop to Rapid Acceleration... No problem for ALL gears

From 5 MPH (1st Gear) to Floored Gas pedal, PROBLEM shifting to Second, it acts as if the clutch is pressed in (automatic model)

From 15mph (2nd gear) to Floored Gas pedal , NO Problem shifting to Third.

From (3rd gear) to Floored Gas Pedal, NO problem shifting to 4th.

So to sum it up, only first to second, if you were rolling first has a problem...

Any thoughts on the Tranny?

·
Premium Member
16,911 Posts
Team,

I just performed a valve adustment (.07 on Exhaust Side and .04 on Intake Side) and in completely solved my engine knock problem, and overall performance! It runs really nice now...
Also, before the valve adjustment, I had a Check Engine light on showing EGR problems (Code 12, but I had just replaced my EGR Valve)

I'd reccommend to anyone who has a Check Engine light Code 12, perform a valve adjustment.

Final check will be a compression check to see the motor's condition...

For the transmission, I just performed a test drive and here are the findings :

From Stop to Rapid Acceleration... No problem for ALL gears

From 5 MPH (1st Gear) to Floored Gas pedal, PROBLEM shifting to Second, it acts as if the clutch is pressed in (automatic model)

From 15mph (2nd gear) to Floored Gas pedal , NO Problem shifting to Third.

From (3rd gear) to Floored Gas Pedal, NO problem shifting to 4th.

So to sum it up, only first to second, if you were rolling first has a problem...

Any thoughts on the Tranny?

Sounds like a clutch pack going out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, my clutches and steels were shot. Plus the second gear thrust bearing shredded. I had it full rebuilt for a price of 705. not bad for the master set, a new second gear, thrust bearing, torque converter and orings. You can get a cheaper rebuild but i chose not to. HOWEVER! Catch was that upon my test drive the car never shifted at all. So, back to the tranny shop (this time he took it out and fixed it for free) turns out the valve body on the inside was fractured.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts