Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Love the power of H
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a really good friend fo mine about stuff to clean the engins internals. And and he said for years he has put trans fluid in the oil a week before changing the oil. he said that would clean all the engin gunk out. I was wondering if any one has tried that or have any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
no no no that is an old school trick but you do it right before... you get the engine warm, then put half to a full court of oil depending how much you can run it for 5-10 min turn it off and drain it. put new oil in and your good to go

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
actually... I have hurd putting alcahol instead of gas leaves ur pistons looking brand spankin clean. I dont try it, because it sounds like a failure...

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
To me it doesnt sound like a bright idea but I would be interested in hearing more from someone with more knowledge on this subject.

·
Registered
113 Posts
actually... I have hurd putting alcahol instead of gas leaves ur pistons looking brand spankin clean. I dont try it, because it sounds like a failure...
The way I heard this is to put rubbing alcohol in with the gas, like one bottle in a tank. I have used this on my old carberated truck and car and it did actually clear out my carbs that were a bit gummed up from sitting for some time.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
old schoolers put alcohol in the gas as a gas drier. As for the trans fluid in the oil... opinions vary I have heard people say never never do that and others that do it once or twice a year at oil changes. I can see where it would help with cleaning carbon out etc. because of all the detergents in trans fluid, but with cars our age I don't think I would be willing to do it.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
if any of you use any of these products like a "motor flush"

Thats all it is. Transmission fluid.

I do it. Hell I even filled my entire engine full of trans fluid once and ran it just so I could clear the hydraulic lifters. Sorta worked but the engine ran fine.

The trick is NEVER drive your car with the transmission fluid in the engine. Dont put it in drive! just let it idle there about 5 mins before your oil change

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I just don't know how I feel about all this? Something sounds kind of fishy. It's like when my motorcycle oil came up missing. I was like WTF! One of my idiot friends was probably changing their oil,or tranny fluid at my shop, and was like durpa durpa i'll just use this. LOL
The tranny fluid thing may have some merit...maybee, but I wouldn't go putting alcohol in my gas. The only thing I put in my gas is stabilizer over the winter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i dont see why you would do this our engines run so clean take appart a old v8 with like 50,000 miles then take appart urs with 200,000 miles and you will see theres no reason for trying to clean it better.

·
Registered
89 Posts
if any of you use any of these products like a "motor flush"

Thats all it is. Transmission fluid.

I do it. Hell I even filled my entire engine full of trans fluid once and ran it just so I could clear the hydraulic lifters. Sorta worked but the engine ran fine.

The trick is NEVER drive your car with the transmission fluid in the engine. Dont put it in drive! just let it idle there about 5 mins before your oil change
whats the difference from driving at idle and idling?

·
12,918 Posts
Best way is to use new engine oil to flush it out. Using anything else could damage seals and won't properly lubricate parts.
Seems like a lot of people imagine the inside of an engine to have weeds and dog shit growing on the inside.

You're better off leaving the old oil residue ''gunk'' where it is as it acts like a seal for your old worn out seals. If you clean it all out you're more likely to have leaks afterwards.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i think these ancient ways of cleaning engines went away with newer technology of the 80's now you can pull your valve cover off and see there is no gunk in your engine it will do more damage as ludapower has stated than any good... oh ya synthetic engine oil will remove gunk and thats why you should not start to use after your car passes 150,000 miles or it might make the little bit of gunk holding your oil in vanish and then you loose and burn oil...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts