Honda Prelude Forum banner

Stock exhaust sounds like shit!

725 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  ludespeed501 
#1 · (Edited)
When I downshift or rev it to high rpm's, and let the rpm's drop back down the exhaust sounds terrible!(especially in first gear)

Time for an upgrade? o2 sensor gone? new muffler?

#3 ·
dkny_stylez said:
When I downshift or rev it to high rpm's, and let the rpm's drop back down the exhaust sounds terrible!(especially in first gear)

Time for an upgrade? o2 sensor gone? new muffler?
i like my stock exhoust..i dont like the loud farting noise of the aftermarket muffler/exhouste.. everytime I hear them it reminds me of 5ft tall asian kids :X

#5 ·
#7 ·
Could also be a hole in the muffler or an exhaust leak. Put it on a lift and check for rusty holes or cracks. If none, then replace your muffler. If I'm not mistaken Honda has a lifetime warranty on our mufflers, so you can get a new one for free. (True on 01's, anyway) But I'd just take this opportunity to justify getting a nice aftermarket exhaust. If you hate the ricey sound, as do I and most people here, just get a Thermal R&D, Evo2, or custom piping (like the Kteller kit, for instance) w/ either a Mugen style or Magnaflow muffler.

#8 · (Edited)
yeah, i think it might be a leak, because the sound comes from the right side of the car right beside the wheel. How much would an OEM replacement be?

yeah, i think it might be a leak, because the sound comes from the right side of the car, beside the front of the rear right wheel. How much would an OEM replacement be?

#9 ·
I've also heard a Greddy SP2 that was incredibly quiet. I mean the guy started it up and I think it was quieter than stock. Of course it was a full catback and cost like $600 but it sounded really good. Plus with aftermarket exhaust you'll be able to gain a little bit of power

#10 ·
dkny_stylez said:
yeah, i think it might be a leak, because the sound comes from the right side of the car right beside the wheel. How much would an OEM replacement be?

yeah, i think it might be a leak, because the sound comes from the right side of the car, beside the front of the rear right wheel. How much would an OEM replacement be?
I just said in the above post that Honda has a lifetime warranty on our mufflers so they should fix it for free. Just go to a reputable dealer and tell them to fix it. I don't know for sure, but I would assume Honda's reason for doing this is that they didn't want to see 5gs running around sounding like shit b/c of bad mufflers or exhaust leaks, b/c 5gs are just to nice to sound like that. Therefore, if you put a fartcan on ur BB6, Honda will hunt you down and kill you. Be afraid, ricers, be very afraid! :smilejap:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.