Honda Prelude Forum banner
4K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  bmurray 
#1 ·
Hey all,

A few months ago I noticed a knocking sound coming from the steering wheel. After investigating, it appears that it is coming from the steering rack itself. If I turn the wheel back and forth about 15 degrees, the noise is very noticeable. Steering wheel position does not matter. With the wheels off the ground, the noise is barely noticeable. I tried to adjust the steering rack guide bolt on the rack, but it didn't help at all.

Here's a vidya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALbMo3ZdEAI

Any ideas?

#5 ·
Welcome to the club http://www.preludepower.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326564 If you find a solution that doesnt involve dropping the steering rack, let me know
Heh well I'm glad I'm not the only one.

possible that the u-joint for the steering link is worn out. that would be a knock you would feel regardless of position. it might just be doing a job of transmitting the noise very well, and they are intended to wear quicker than the rack.
I considered this. But it seems tight. And wouldn't there be play in the steering wheel (i.e. movement in the steering wheel that doesn't translate to the front wheels)?

#7 · (Edited)
Pulling while driving is likely an alignment issue.

I replaced my rack about two years ago when i noticed movement in the rack that translated no tire direction change. There was slight noise associated.

Are you sure the rack is not moving about? Can you have someone turn the wheel while you watch the rack? Or maybe try to move it yourself. The rack is located in a rubber bushing that encapsulates the cylinder housing on the passenger end

I believe there is a rubber grommet type bushing where its bolted in too

#12 ·
Interesting, mine pulls to the left also. I'm gonna tackle the issue but I only have time to work on it on the weekends and there are a bunch of things I have lined up to fix on my car.

In the meantime, I'll do some research throughout the week and if I see any clues I'll post them here and see what you guys think.

#9 ·
Does it pull an equal amount to left all of the time? I suppose youre constantly having to apply pressure to the steering wheel.

And you are certain the alignment is dead on. Is the front end spec the same left to right? Is the alignment shop aligning the rear tires first before doing the front?

#17 ·
Completely forgot about this thread, sorry guys.

Pretty much the same amount, kind of depends on the road, though.

I did the alignment, so I know it's perfect. ;-)

Excessive free play is either the u joint or the support bearing for the pinion shaft. I have also seen cars align perfect, and since either tie rods or wheel bearings have play, it pulls..

If you can eliminate tie rods as a problem for sure, feel for play on the steering u joint, while someone else moves the wheel..
Tie rods are good, no play at the wheels. I will looking to the U-joint.

My old 5th gen had a similar problem, my drivers side (your passenger) the 2 main bolts that hold the rack into place at that side had become loose, removed the bolts and used locktite and never had the problem again, maybe worth checking that out?
Hmm...I'll check it out.

Its also worth checking out all of the bushings. Including the radius rod bushings.

Aftermarket rims with a lower offset and worn tires can magnify any pulling issues. Even more when you have negative camber and or cross camber too.
I just recently put on a set of AP1s (front and rears). But I have had the pulling for some time. The knocking started more recently. Tires have about 10k on them.

Also, are you really 92 Catacon? If so, I think you beat Dano in the 3g section for old man-ness!
Yes.

BA5 may be correct too.

Obviously it can be almost anything though since even the suspension changes when turning.

Inner tie rods can be manipulated with one tire off the ground and pulled back and forth from 9 and 3 o clock. It takes a decent amount of force sometimes more than you think you tried

Edit: Have you tried turning the steering wheel lock to lock with both tires off the ground? That should eliminate almost all extra stress on the rack. If it persists then you have a better idea if its really the rack or at component attached basically

Plus when getting an alignment the tech should align, test drive and then recheck. I think if wheel bearings or related would show it
I don't hear the noise with the wheels off the ground.

And totally on topic. I bet catacon is 29
Correct.

#10 ·
Excessive free play is either the u joint or the support bearing for the pinion shaft. I have also seen cars align perfect, and since either tie rods or wheel bearings have play, it pulls..

If you can eliminate tie rods as a problem for sure, feel for play on the steering u joint, while someone else moves the wheel..

#11 ·
Mine has no obvious looseness in the steering system, it just knocks. I ran time trials with the car for a year after I started noticing it knocking, still no apparent issues. Your results may vary, though.

#15 · (Edited)
Crazy. I've been having the exact same problem. I was going to guess it was my inner tie rods or something like that, but hadn't gotten underneath the car to look just yet.

I also haven't noticed any pull in mine. I guess when I figure out what it is I'll let ya'll know.

Also, are you really 92 Catacon? If so, I think you beat Dano in the 3g section for old man-ness!

#16 · (Edited)
BA5 may be correct too.

Obviously it can be almost anything though since even the suspension changes when turning.

Inner tie rods can be manipulated with one tire off the ground and pulled back and forth from 9 and 3 o clock. It takes a decent amount of force sometimes more than you think you tried

And totally on topic. I bet catacon is 29

Edit: Have you tried turning the steering wheel lock to lock with both tires off the ground? That should eliminate almost all extra stress on the rack. If it persists then you have a better idea if its really the rack or at component attached basically

Plus when getting an alignment the tech should align, test drive and then recheck. I think if wheel bearings or related would show it

#20 ·
My Accord had a similar knocking noise (although a bit faster) in the steering rack (identified by a mechanic, he said it would be fine.) It had 60,000 mi when I sold it to a relative, and now it has 140,000 and is still running fine. It still makes the noise. Hope the noise is as much as of a non-issue as it has been in the Accord.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.