Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so im sorry in advance for any stupid questions or inexperience, im slowly learning the basic mechanics of my car. So I had my car jacked up on the front driver side while I was switching out my brake pads and noticed a leak coming out of the steering rack. The leak seemed to look almost greenish, which made me believe it was coolant, but was confused to see where it was coming out. It also looked like a thinner watered down engine oil a little bit. Considering only one side of the car was jacked up about a foot, I couldnt get a great look. The leak seemed to be dripping out right past the rubber boot on the rack, between the boot and what i believe is some sort of sensor. There was a good sized wet spot on the ground about the size of a grapefruit. The dripping continued but tapered off and stopped. My power steering fluid was fine when I checked it.. Here is a picture below, any knowledge or help would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the lack of knowledge on my part!! I have a 5th gen type sh by the way.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
You should notice the ps fluid level getting lower if you had a decent leak. The oil filter is located on the driver's side back of the engine, possibly dripped oil while changing the oil? Any changes in the performance of the power steering?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should notice the ps fluid level getting lower if you had a decent leak. The oil filter is located on the driver's side back of the engine, possibly dripped oil while changing the oil? Any changes in the performance of the power steering?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
well thats the weird thing, the ps fluid is fine, and whatever the leak was happened all at once then stopped.. its like it was sitting somewhere, then when i jacked the car up it spilled out or something. The steering functionality is still great and smooth

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
well thats the weird thing, the ps fluid is fine, and whatever the leak was happened all at once then stopped.. its like it was sitting somewhere, then when i jacked the car up it spilled out or something. The steering functionality is still great and smooth
Look for more leaks above the rack, that picture seriously looks like some thing got spilled on it, it doesn't look like the rack is what is leaking. Remember gravity is a very real thing,lol. Check the back of the block for more of that substance.

Is that shot of the Driver's side or Passenger side of the rack?

I think if it was on the driver's side the oil filter in a Type SH is right above the steering rack and could have been what made that mess on your steering rack.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look for more leaks above the rack, that picture seriously looks like some thing got spilled on it, it doesn't look like the rack is what is leaking. Remember gravity is a very real thing,lol. Check the back of the block for more of that substance.

Is that shot of the Driver's side or Passenger side of the rack?

I think if it was on the driver's side the oil filter in a Type SH is right above the steering rack and could have been what made that mess on your steering rack.
yeah it was the drivers side. ill take a look at the oil filter today. Thanks for the insight dude!

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
I would clean it and keep an eye on it.
X2. Clean the spot completely now and check it BEFORE you change your oil. Then check it again after you change it. I could be way off but the positioning and the color of the liquid says it dripped down when the oil filter was changed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts