Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just failed MOT (Govt transport test)on this in UK.

Is this an easy job? Can I do with just jacking one side of car up?

Garage said something about having to count amount of turns you do and then turn same no times back, OR tracking goes out

Cost at garage £70 (100$ approx)

Any thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
rack boot

Not hard and yes you could do it jacked up from one corner, trouble is getting the rod end off or the other end and making sure it's the same length. Now I would tackle this another way and actually measure the distances so that when you put it back the measurements are exactly the same.

Worse case scenario you will have to take it to get tracked which will probably cost you around £30-50 depending on how far out the rest of the suspension is as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not hard and yes you could do it jacked up from one corner, trouble is getting the rod end off or the other end and making sure it's the same length. Now I would tackle this another way and actually measure the distances so that when you put it back the measurements are exactly the same.

Worse case scenario you will have to take it to get tracked which will probably cost you around £30-50 depending on how far out the rest of the suspension is as well.
Thanks for that. Given it won't stop raining and it could still end up costing for the tracking I'll get them to do it (£70 incl part and vat). (MOT garage probably split it!) Given I don't spend anything on it I'll do it...looking forward to driving it as not been on road for nearly a year!

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Track boot

It's not a bad qoute given those bolts and rack arm never been touched in a long long time they could have quite a fight on their hands lol! It's 30 minutes work if everything comes off easy but could be an hour if it doesn't! You could always shop around see if any other garages would do it for less might get lucky but last thing you want is some bodge it to come and along and damage the rod end boot and have to buy a new one as they're like rocking horse poo these days from blueprint as all going out of stock and discontinued.

Mines still not on the road as I managed to smash the windscreen and need to have the back end of the sills welded but I did get it on the track instead! Had both insured for just £160 for the year although neither are on the road so much going on Red one just needs to get to MOT center would pass but just not got the time at present.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts