Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title implies, my car doesn't like running unless I spray coupious amounts of carb cleaner in it. The fuel pump works, I just replaced the fuel filter, ran injector cleaner through it, but it starts then dies two seconds later. On another note, none of my gauge lights work. Anyone?

·
Registered
197 Posts
check fuses and relays, and use a noid light to see if the injectors are fireing also check to see if the ecu has any codes that might be of some help.

·
Registered
754 Posts
my dx is doing the same however i checked voltage to the fuel pump and its not even getting a constant 12 volts, it wont run but for a sec and then spraying liberal amounts of carb cleaner in it you can get it to run if you floor it(if you are lucky) but it wont idle

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you can hold it in the start postion and it stays running,then the electrical portion of the ignition switch is bad.

****Don,t hold over for a long time,not over 20 or 30 seconds.Your starter will be turning also.*****

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, sounds like the ignition switch might be going bad in conjunction with maybe the fuel pump solenoid going bad? where are both of these?

·
Registered
754 Posts
12 volts, and if the engine starts to crank up and runs for a sec i wouldnt think it would be the ignition switch, although i have seen some pretty weird things on cars when it comes to electrical systems

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nah, I say ignition switch because when I put the car in ON once or twice, the car lurched. So, just pull the panel by the left wheel well and test the two wires going to the pump? where is the pump solenoid located?

·
Registered
68 Posts
nah, I say ignition switch because when I put the car in ON once or twice, the car lurched. So, just pull the panel by the left wheel well and test the two wires going to the pump? where is the pump solenoid located?

When you drop the ingition switch cover,you will probably see a blob of soldier fall out.

Maybe I made it kind of confussing.

To check it.Start the car and hold the switch in the start postion to see if it will stay running (not over 30 seconds or so).
If it stays running and dies in the run postion ,it is bad.

It is very common and not that hard to replace.I think they are about 60$ at the dealership.

·
Registered
754 Posts

ahhh i see i skimmed your earlier posts and realised i missed the part as well that it only runs for like 2 seconds

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I held it in start and it die, just like 4 seconds later instead. Going to drop the fuel pump down and check the voltage on that. I have heard the pump act odd before (make odd sounds) but I never made much of it. I might just throw my walboro on it and see if the pump itself was getting ready to poo. The second problem is the guages just stopped working. Only light that comes on is the bat light, so i guess the whole thing gets power? any idea where the grounds for that are?

·
Registered
754 Posts
what condition is your alternator in?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The bearings went in it, so the alt. is new. going to test the pump/ put the new one in (walboro 255lhp) and see if that works. Anything else?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the other problem, I keep blowing fuses to the instruments in my car. When I go into on, the fuse fries. Everyother fuse is ok, just this one goes. I check the voltage at the spot and it reads 12volts, so it must be amps that kill it. what could potentialy cause a overload on this circuit. MP 86si-any luck getting your car to start? did your pump ever make odd sounds at full tank ever?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
fixed the instruments. Now when I go to start it, it won't even run on carb cleaner, just turns over and nothing?

·
Registered
754 Posts
still not yet, i replaced the pump and im putting a new alternator on it but yea one thing is my old fuel pump did make a few odd noises but not all the time, but its not getting straight 12volts its bouncing between 3 and 7, very irregular, i got a stock pump from pull a part that still works pretty good so now just gotta track down the voltage problem, i hate electrical problems, i think im gonna go crazy

·
Registered
754 Posts
hmmmm thats cool but at the same time not, cause if its a problem that comes and goes it makes it a bitch to track down

1 - 19 of 19 Posts