Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, im starting to piece together parts for my turbo build.

Looking for some recommendations. Mainly on the turbo.

What size/brand turbo should i go with?

My goals are 250-300hp on a stock block. Daily driver. Ill only be running prolly 7-8psi.

Here's what i have so far:

Turbo: (DUNNO)
Manifold: got it from motoxxxman (thanks a million) ***T3 flange***
Wastegate: Tial 38mm
Boost Controller: Hallman Manual B.C.
B.O.V: either 1. Greddy R.Z. or 2. Synapse.
Intercooler: Mishimoto Z-Line
Piping: cxracing kit off ebay.
Oil Feed/Drain Lines: (still hunting down)
Downpipe: custom fab unless i can find one online.
Exhaust: custom 3"

Tune: undecided where im going

Im pulling my engine as soon as its warm enough outside so i can "refresh" it a bit.

New OEM Honda headgasket, ARP headstuds (h22a4's fit the h22a1 right?), timing belt/water pump/etc.. I will probably eliminate the balance shafts but im not sure yet, if i dont, ill replace all seals and belts, etc.

With the motor out im goin to send the head to get some minor work done, new seals, valve job, PNP.

ill add more to this later. looking for some feedback on what i have lined up so far. let me know how im doing. i want to do this right the first time and not have to do it over.

thanks.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
for the turbo, call turbokits.com and tell them i sent you. ask which turbo comes in the h22 prelude turbonetics kit, and tell them you'd like to buy just the turbo. you can get the journal bearing one or the ball-bearing one for a small amount more. both have a 1 year warranty, and are perfect for your goals.

you also need an ecu of course. you know who to go to for that :)

for injectors, i'd go with 550cc or 650cc. 450 is too small, and 750 is pointlessly too big

good choice on the boost controller by the way. the hallman is the only manual boost controller i trust. i've installed and used at least 50 of them.
you really dont need it though unless you want to occasionally raise the boost higher than what the wg spring is rated for

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
what kind of turbo is in the turbonetics kit? and do you plan on more hp later down the line? invest in a garrett gt3076r its good for up to 500 wheel but is also good for under 300 around 8psi. it sounds sooooooooooooo cool too haha but thats beyond the point.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
what kind of turbo is in the turbonetics kit? and do you plan on more hp later down the line? invest in a garrett gt3076r its good for up to 500 wheel but is also good for under 300 around 8psi. it sounds sooooooooooooo cool too haha but thats beyond the point.
57 trim t04e compressor, .63 a/r stage III t3 turbine. pretty similar to a gt3076 actually

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
hmmm interesting. I was looking into buying one of those kits orginally but i asked around before hand and not to many people were happy with them. granted he may only be buying the turbo and not the kit as a whole but who makes the turbo? or is turbonetics the maker/seller?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
got ya. all around a good turbo and similar to the garrett 30r. looks like you got a good setup coming along. you did your research +1

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
^ do i even wanna know why you have street tires on your bike? lol
because i ride it on the street :colgate:

2003 Wr450 street legal i ripped it apart in november and had everything powder coated flat black. frame swingarm engine cases.. the whole 9 yards. 17" excel rims w/ talon hubs and street tires. ill send you some more pics when its done.. its quite a bike. hense the reason my block isnt built lol

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
because i ride it on the street :colgate:

2003 Wr450 street legal i ripped it apart in november and had everything powder coated flat black. frame swingarm engine cases.. the whole 9 yards. 17" excel rims w/ talon hubs and street tires. ill send you some more pics when its done.. its quite a bike. hense the reason my block isnt built lol
lol thats probably the only excuse i've ever heard of for why someone's block is taking so long to get built that i actually agree with haha
i forget what its called officially, but i hope you have a rubber drivetrain damper in that thing. i forget if they have one stock or not.
its the thing in the tranny that street bikes have but dirtbikes dont

·
Registered
107 Posts
You forgot about fuel. Judging from your other parts listing, this will be a moderate build. I'd go with 680cc Injectors, Walbro 190lph Fuel Pump and an AFPR. Can you tune preludes on Crome? I tinkered with one on a turbo teggy and it seemed like a nice program.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
You forgot about fuel. Judging from your other parts listing, this will be a moderate build. I'd go with 680cc Injectors, Walbro 190lph Fuel Pump and an AFPR. Can you tune preludes on Crome? I tinkered with one on a turbo teggy and it seemed like a nice program.
actually no, 190lph is too small. he needs the 255HP. and no he does not need an afpr.
honestly, 99% of the time an afpr is completely useless except for looks

and yes, you can tune preludes on crome. i've done more than plenty myself, all with perfect results

·
Registered
107 Posts
actually no, 190lph is too small. he needs the 255HP. and no he does not need an afpr.
honestly, 99% of the time an afpr is completely useless except for looks

and yes, you can tune preludes on crome. i've done more than plenty myself, all with perfect results
Well I don't know what his build is and just assumed the turbo he was going with. Obviously if it's more of a 35R or larger, more fuel will probably be needed. A 190 is good for a decent amount of power. Assumed it wasn't going to be a crazy amount since it's on a stock motor. Also, what makes you think AFPRs are completely useless? I've never personally used one, skipped out on it and just went with fuel pump and injectors. But I've heard good things from name brands, not the cheap ebay knock-offs.

·
Banned
13,157 Posts
Well I don't know what his build is and just assumed the turbo he was going with. Obviously if it's more of a 35R or larger, more fuel will probably be needed. A 190 is good for a decent amount of power. Assumed it wasn't going to be a crazy amount since it's on a stock motor. Also, what makes you think AFPRs are completely useless? I've never personally used one, skipped out on it and just went with fuel pump and injectors. But I've heard good things from name brands, not the cheap ebay knock-offs.
adjustable fuel pressure regulators serve only one purpose: to adjust the fuel pressure. and adjusting the fuel pressure only serves two purposes: 1) richening or leaning the mixture by using higher or lower pressures, which is pointless when you have a tuneable ecu that can adjust that independantly at all manifold pressures and rpms. 2) setting the base fuel pressure to a pressure that the injectors work best at, but the stock fuel pressure in a prelude is the same pressure that almost all common aftermarket fuel injectors are already supposed to use anyway.

so yes, an afpr is useless in a turbo build

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry i havent tuned into my own post lately, its been a very bad week.

i planned on running a Walbro 255 fuel pump and 550cc injectors. i forgot to include that in my first post.

here is a link to the turbo im highly considering. LINK!!

so moto and others, let me know what you think of this turbo.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh yea, and not that it has anything to do with my turbo, my 1pc black housings came in :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
sorry i havent tuned into my own post lately, its been a very bad week.

i planned on running a Walbro 255 fuel pump and 550cc injectors. i forgot to include that in my first post.

here is a link to the turbo im highly considering. LINK!!

so moto and others, let me know what you think of this turbo.
Holset HX35 for half the price. :smile:

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
moto you around?? opinion on turbo posted in post #16?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
and i still have yet to get an opinion on my turbo choice?? anyone left in here?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts