Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 1989 Prelude 2.0 SI B20A5 with 200,000km and just about all original parts. She's in great shape.

I have two problems I haven't been able to solve.

1. Sometimes I intermittently stall for no reason, generally when I'm pulling up to a stop. It seems to happen for instance more when I'm exiting the highway and pulling up to a stop, but maybe I'm just driving down the block to a stop sign. Again it's pretty intermittent.

2. Intermittently I can't do a warm start. The engine doesn't turn over. I have to wait 2-10 minutes for it to cool down and then I'm fine. Cold starts are good every time. This seems to happen randomly. Even if I just cross the street to park, then decide I can park closer to the curb, and boom, no start, wait 2 minutes and then fine.

When the stalling issue is paired with the no warm start issue, I could be in a real dangerous situation.

I already replaced the Main Relay and that didn't help. What else should I be checking/replacing? And when I say "I", I mean my mechanic.

Thanks!
-Joel

_DSF8793.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,892 Posts
This is a common 80-90's Honda issue.
Its your main relay, it needs to be replaced or repaired.

Just search in the FAQ's for the most common fixes for this car, we have covered just about every single issue this car has.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a common 80-90's Honda issue.
Its your main relay, it needs to be replaced or repaired.

Just search in the FAQ's for the most common fixes for this car, we have covered just about every single issue this car has.
Hi Sean. Thanks for your reply. I replaced the main relay this month to fix the problem, so freaked out when I realized it was still happening!

·
Premium Member
16,892 Posts
Hi Sean. Thanks for your reply. I replaced the main relay this month to fix the problem, so freaked out when I realized it was still happening!
If you are sure the main relay is not the issue, then your next check is the ignition switch.
We have old solders with this car and over time those points cause many of the electrical issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts