Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
this is only confirmed 4th gen fitment so far

i got a set of shifter bushings made last week, they're stainless steel so there is absolutely 0 play from them over the rubber bushings. hopefully this will help some grinding, and general shifter feel, the K guys seem to have alot of improvements with these over the stock stuff. My machinist calculated about .25" of slop with the rubber and about .005" slop with these. We also found a rod end that will work on the interior shifter, i'll be ordering that this week and i'll update when i get it. I'll be testing these on 90-prelude-91's car for 4G fitment, and then check 5th gen fitments on RPWolf's car (he says P/N are the same for 5th adn 4th gen) and maybe Rambothemighty1's car to check 3G B motor fitment.

But this is what i need from everyone. I need to know how many people would be interested in a set, 3 SS bushings and 1 SS rod end. there are similar sets online, but none for prelude fitment, and they're made of brass. Stainless steel is much tougher then brass, not that brass would be bad, but we know these will be tough enough with pretty much a guarantee of never failing.

The price hinges on how many i make, so i need to see how much interest there is in these. BUT, since they are stainless they take about 3 times longer to machine then brass, and the raw is more expensive, but obviously worth it, IMO. also with the other kits there are only 2 bushings, where these are all 4 corners, taking out ALOT of slop. so keep that in mind when comparing prices with similar products.

so PLEASE, anyone who may be interested in a set please speak up

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Not interested, but I may suggest a different material. I don't know why you don't use brass if it's cheaper and easier to machine. Really you could just use aluminum. It's even cheaper and even easier to machine. And lighter.

·
Registered
10,750 Posts
I'd opt for aluminium .. or more likely nylon.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aluminum would hog out WAY too easily, and the brass over the years i think would hog out as well, stainless is out and out tougher so you'll never have to worry about developing slop years down the road

and yeah, the house was built in 72 :)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You're not putting that much force on them. In fact, having played with the shift linkage myself, I can tell you that you're not putting much more than a couple of pounds of force on them. Just about any material that you can machine in a lathe is going to be able to withstand it.

If you want people to buy it (i.e., it has to be inexpensive), then you need to use a cheaper material. Aluminum (or nylon or just about any plastic) will work just fine. Trust me. Designing shit like this is what I do for a living, and I'm very, very good at what I do. :D

·
toguetastic
3,233 Posts
You're not putting that much force on them. In fact, having played with the shift linkage myself, I can tell you that you're not putting much more than a couple of pounds of force on them. Just about any material that you can machine in a lathe is going to be able to withstand it.

If you want people to buy it (i.e., it has to be inexpensive), then you need to use a cheaper material. Aluminum (or nylon or just about any plastic) will work just fine. Trust me. Designing shit like this is what I do for a living, and I'm very, very good at what I do. :D
i'm going to school to be a mechanical engineer right now!

just how expensive is this ss stuff gonna be anyway? i probably wouldn't pay more than like 30 for something like this. its just not worth that to me. and if you think about how they make suspension bushings out of polyurethane (which undergo a lot more forces in a lot more directions) then i don't see the need for ss if the only force you're applying is the force of your arm against the shifter. sounds like nylon ftw!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
i think you should set a base price or ballpark..
id be interested in something like that, if i had a manual transmission.
my shift cable already has some kind of metal bushing.
:D

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
so if you ate a fistful of diamonds, youd be like bling bling?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts