Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my gf's lude, 1990 SR non-4WS, sometimes when she slightly or fully turns the wheel to the RIGHT, she hears a high-pitched squealing noise.

I already know it needs a passenger side CV joint, but she can't say which side of the car the squealing is coming from. It is only when she turns the wheels to the right, as soon as she turns them back the other way, the sound stops.

Any ideas?

·
Donate you cheap bastages
842 Posts
Possible brake dust shield rubbing? Does it sound tinny?

I had that on mine after I put on new rotors but it was more of a cyclical grind. I just took the wheel off and bent it slightly out of the way.

·
Premium Member
4,397 Posts
power steering belt?

·
Premium Member
17,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think it would be the PS belt, I'm pretty sure it is a metal on metal sounding squeal.

I dont think it would be the dust shield either, the last time I heard the sound was weeks ago, so it doesnt happen everyday thats for sure. I will check the dust shield though.

·
Premium Member
4,918 Posts
my lude does the same exact thing, only it does it when i turn to the left and on rare occasion it will just going straight. driver's side front btw. looks and feels like it needs machining...or just new rotors. would that cause it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine does the same kind of metal to metal knocking only when I'm turning to the left while the car is not moving and in a still position though.

Have replaced the upper and lowers arms but the noise is still there but its not constant and I hear it only at times.

·
Premium Member
17,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It only happens when driving, not sitting still.

The rotors and pads are only 1 year old in May.

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts
Probably the lower balljoints, it's going to get worse. Mine got to the point where I was embarrased to drive it they squeaked so much.

·
Memento Mori
7,515 Posts
Check and see if the boots are ripped, or there is grease on the outside of them. Mine were doing it because there was no grease in them anymore and it was just metal on metal.

·
no mo mod
13,011 Posts
icky...
they are relatively easy to replace (IMO)
especially if you have an air hammer :D
they come out SOOOO freakin easy with that tool.

air hammers...one of gods gifts to technicians :razz:

anywho...thats pretty weird, I've never heard a squeeky ball joint. I've seen em get to the point where they were popping when you hit a bump or turned. it was BAD :| It was on some kind of ford IIRC
*shrug*

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
If it's knocking...cv joints. If it's a constant scraping sound, it's probably your brake rotor shield.

My shield started rubbing my rotor on right turns out of the blue this weekend at the Gap. I just bend the shield away from the rotor and no more sounds...

Time to take them off when I do my VTEC brake upgrade...

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
It could very well be the brake pad wear indicator. It's a little steel tab on the inner pad that contacts the rotor when the pads wear down. These do make a squeeling sound.

Do this ... as she is turning right and the squeeling begins, apply the brakes a bit and see if the squeeling stops. If it does, it's almost a sure thing that she is being told to change the pads..

:smilejap::smilejap::smilejap:

·
Premium Member
17,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She has a knocking CV as well, but thats another story.

I am free today so I will check those things out, thanks guys

1 - 16 of 16 Posts