Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of my new Prelude today! But there's one small thing: I can hear a small squealing noise that appears to be coming from a belt on the extreme left side of the engine (the driver's side). What is that belt, and why is it squealing? I can hear the squeal outside the car, but not inside - thus, I've only heard it at idle and don't know if it changes frequency with speed or not.

If that's the timing belt, that was replaced not long before I bought the car - I have a receipt for that! In the case that it is the timing belt, why would it be making the noise?

Should I be concerned enough about this squeal that I have it checked out before I drive home (400 miles) on Monday?

·
bangin' gears
15,676 Posts
you need to tighten you alternator belt or the power steering belt. There are tensioner bolts for each belt. The tensioner for the alternator is just under it, the one on the right. for power steering its on the top part of the bracket. You cant miss it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, I was hoping it was something minor like that. That makes me feel a LOT better! Can it wait until I get home from college? Or do I really need to have that done here?

·
Registered
152 Posts
before tightening make sure the belts are not rotted out. otherwise they may break under more tension. I have had old belts squeal that I simply had to replace.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts