Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just got another new lude and i was driving it home and i went to take off and it started to sputter and sound like a wrx but worse
and also the cel code is 17 which is speedo sensor.. the speedometer and odometer do not work... how do i fix that??

clean title

total price... $300

motor was rebuilt and apparently has only 4k since
and it is grinding into 2nd and 3rd

pics will be up soon

(edit)it is a 1990 prelude si 5 speed
its a b20a5

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Yeah we need pics. It depends on the year. The 88-89 uses a speedo cable and you'll probably need to replace it if is that year or swap in a Electric Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). And it on automatics if it is a auto that is, the Throttle Positioning Sensor is linked to the VSS and could make your car idle rough. You also need to check your vacuum hoses because they could cause rough idling at low RPMs also.

To further help you we need: Year, Model of Car (S or Si), and if it is auto or manual.

·
Registered
14 Posts
check for spark, i was going to school one day, and i was going 35 and like someone fliped a switch i went to sounding like a subaru with unequal length headers. got home pulled plug wires until i found the dead one and threw a extra plug in the wire and the wire checked out so i swaped the plugs and presto! and after i was thinking if i were to keep driving it would lean out the other three cylinders cause the o2 would be reading a bunch of unburnt gas and cut fuel to all cylinders. im i thinking right?

·
Premium Member
9,128 Posts
First thing I always do after buying a used car is a full tune-up with new plugs and wires, new air filter, and oil change. Also change the tranny fluid. You might want to try that before diagnosing any further.

How's the body? Any rust? That would be an incredible price for a running 3rg gen if there is no rust.

When I first got my 89 it was grinding when shifting into 2nd and 3rd. I drained the old tranny oil and filled it with 2 quarts of Redline MT 90. After about 6 months the grinding was gone. Saved me from having to replace the transmission. Definitely worth a try.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having somewhat the same problem on my 90 2.0 Si. Most of the time when I'm in neutral the RPMs will drop and the engine will shut off. It happened shortly after I bought some cheaper gas so I'm wondering if that's it. It won't shut off when I'm in gear, but it's sometimes a pain to always be in gear and/or giving it gas to keep the RPMs up.

Any ideas?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts