Honda Prelude Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 90 electric speed sensor prelude is off by about 10 mph at 15-30 mph actual speed... but then seems to read fine at 40-55 speeds.
what im trying to figure out is this; with a electic speed sensor gone bad, one would think the speedometer would not work at all reading 0 at all speeds??
so im thinking that the gauge or spring within the gauge has worn out and therefore i need a new gauge cluster (anyone have one).

BUT ive also read, in posts that came back from a search, it may be that the speed sensor could be slightly malfunctioning. and a easy fix (not so easy to get at) is to remove the speed sensor and put it back on. or loosen it a give it a wiggle, then tighten it back up and vwallaa problem fixed.

if any of you have had such issues let me know.
thanks-

·
JDM fo lyf y0
1,224 Posts
Mine intermittently reads random speeds like say im going 50kmh it will bounce around 60-140 >_< like really erratically. I need a new speed sensor.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
when im going 30 with the flow of traffic (on many different streets) the speedo reads a constant 20ish. It then seems to read true at around 45 and up.
mike yours sounds like a speed sensor for certain.
also ill add that my speedo does not bounce around like mikes.

·
Registered
263 Posts
mines 9km/h off, I know this because I pass people when the speedo reads the speed limit and from a radar sign that tells you your speed when aproaching.

·
Rep me if you hate my ass
4,349 Posts
I'm sure you all know this, but putting plus-size wheels on your car will throw off your speedo readings. That shouldn't mean that at 10K it says you're going 50K or anything like that, but it will affect the number a little bit.

--J

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep. i already took this into account as the last 3 years with the rims on have all yeilded pretty accurate readings throughout the speedo/mph.

until now. i dont know if there is a spring that controls the actual speedometer needle as those would eventually wear out i would suppose.
still no idea of what is the cause.
devils in the system:devil:

G

·
its not the speedo cable, my guess is tehres some dirt on the backside of the needle and its just catching. those tings have so little tq that moves them that any little snag will stop them

·
JDM fo lyf y0
1,224 Posts
He has the eletric speed sensor, no cable just a wire.

Hmm maybe the connection is bad? On your tranny the speed sensor is a little box with one screw holding it down and 2 wires comming out (eletric) unplug it and plug it back in, might just be a lil dirty connection =)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts