Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I hardly ever use my beautiful little 2nd Gen these days , but do keep it road registered. Last couple of times I've had it out the Speedo has gone intermittent. The Odometer seems fine, but the Speedo often just stays at Zero, and then "magically" starts to read about correct, sometimes flicking up and down, and then "dying" back to Zero again.
Anyone got any clues/experience on where the problem might be, please?

I am thinking, as the Odometer seems OK, it must be something within the Speedo meter itself?? (ie. probably not the cable).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kett

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine does the same. Pretty sure it’s the electronics on the back of the instrument cluster. I just use a speed ap in my phone - even has the orange Honda font! ?

·
Registered
1985 Prelude
2 Posts
Are there any issues with the mileage counter? If yes, the problem is the speedometer cable. If no, see below:

This sort of problem is typically caused by cracks in the solder. Over time, small movements in the wiring can cause tiny fractures in the solder, so most likely, the solder has cracked on one or more pins that connect the speedometer to the wiring. (The solder cracks could be anywhere on the circuit boards that control the speedometer, but most likely, it's at the pin connector.) To fix this, you'll have to remove the instrument panel, take apart the instrument panel, and reflow the solder on the connector pins for the circuit board. Pictures below show which pins I resoldered. (As a side note, alcohol strips the paint from the instrument panels, so dont clean with alcohol. Don't ask how I know that.)

IMG_2883.JPG
IMG_2890.JPG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts