Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi New to the forum. Just bought an 89 prelude 4ws. Am looking for a speed sensor. Any suggestions where I could find one?

·
Premium Member
16,749 Posts
Hi New to the forum. Just bought an 89 prelude 4ws. Am looking for a speed sensor. Any suggestions where I could find one?
Only junkyard. This part is discontinued, and there are no other parts that are compatible.

You have the mechanical version which is even worse to try to find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
[/QUlots
Hey man! if you wanna run a third genny ya gotta be a good scrounge. My son Logan found you 4 listings on ebay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey man! if you wanna run a third genny ya gotta be a good scrounge. My son Logan found you 4 listings on ebay.

If you need a speedo cable... Napa part #BK6151695 Balkamp one piece cable for Accord. Works great. Was around 50 bucks US.... 70ish Canadian.

·
Premium Member
16,749 Posts
Again, I reiterate my response, There are no new VSS sensors for our cars. All junkyard parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you need a speedo cable... Napa part #BK6151695 Balkamp one piece cable for Accord. Works great. Was around 50 bucks US.... 70ish Canadian.
Hey Stace963... sorry got the price wrong, Speedo cable is $29.19 US dollars. I see you are in Australia. If your having a hard time getting these parts let us know and Logan will pick them up and send them out to you.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Everyone is failing to touch on the fact that this part shown and described is only the mechanical speed sensor for the power steering system. If the engine control unit is throwing a code 17 - Vehicle Speed Sensor, the problem is probably the electronic pulser in the gauge cluster. It might be the cable, but they don't break very often, and are easily tested. The pulser, though, is probably going to require replacement of the gauge cluster.

·
Premium Member
16,749 Posts
Everyone is failing to touch on the fact that this part shown and described is only the mechanical speed sensor for the power steering system. If the engine control unit is throwing a code 17 - Vehicle Speed Sensor, the problem is probably the electronic pulser in the gauge cluster. It might be the cable, but they don't break very often, and are easily tested. The pulser, though, is probably going to require replacement of the gauge cluster.
Yes, all part of the process of troubleshooting. 1 step at a time.

·
Registered
268 Posts

Fair to say, if the Odometer still counts, its NOT the cable..... Correct? Thats what mine does, Odometer works, but speedo is intermittant sometimes, so I am just living with it.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Logan`s 88 SI 4ws started with an intermittant speedo throwing a code 17. Then it quit. Ended up being a broken speedo cable. I guess the frayed wire cable was occasionally grabbing itself. The 2 piece cable can slowly unscrew itself, or walk itself out of the tranny if the pin takes a hike. Also the guage cluster.. How do know its the VSS for sure?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts