Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car starts when it wants to, which is most of the time, but every 2 or so weeks, it just won't start. so i pop the hood, wiggle some wires and start it again and off she goes. i am almost positive that it needs new plugs and wires. what are the best plugs and what are the best wires i can get? thanks

·
Registered
1990 Honda Prelude 2.0Si, 1989 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4ws, 1990 Honda Prelude Si 4ws, etc.
745 Posts
NGKs and Densos are both great for Hondas in general. Never buy Bosch plugs for your 'lude - it'll burn them up in a matter of weeks, if it even takes that long. Bosch plugs work great with other cars I've owned, but my 'lude sure doesn't like them, and I don't know the reason for that. I've never bought a set of plug wires that didn't work well - I imagine just about any brand would do fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
NGKs and Densos are both great for Hondas in general. Never buy Bosch plugs for your 'lude - it'll burn them up in a matter of weeks, if it even takes that long. Bosch plugs work great with other cars I've owned, but my 'lude sure doesn't like them, and I don't know the reason for that. I've never bought a set of plug wires that didn't work well - I imagine just about any brand would do fine.
So the other day I was doing some time attack runs through this road that has lots of curves. I got to the end and went to pull out at the stop sign and it sounded like my engine was running on 1 cylinder. I popped the hood at the closest gas station. You would never believe what happened? It still had the oem stock plug wires and 3 of them had popped out of the holes they go into to plug onto the spark plug. I was like whew......so I plugged them back up and she run smooth once again.

I went home and ordered those new NGK
RUTHENIUM HX™
High-Ignitability Spark Plugs
Ruthenium HX is available in two designs to best maximize the performance of your engine.
DFE (double fine electrode) maximizes ignitability, while reducing emissions for low-heat engines. This NGK-patented design is recommended for non-turbo applications.
PSPE® (projected square platinum electrode) provides the best ignitability and service life for high-heat engines. This NGK-patented design is recommended for turbo and supercharged engines.

I ordered the DFE ones because I am building an all motor build. I'm currently running the NGK IX Iridium Spark Plugs in my 1989 Prelude Si. I also ordered the VMS Racing 10.2mm spark plug wires. I run them on my 1998 Civic Si clone Vtec and I have not had any problems out of them for years.

The only plugs I could not get to run in my old 1988 Prelude I had in the late 90s was the AC Delco Rapidfire. It missed like crazy. So I took them back and for the NGK-R's that was available at the time with copper tips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts