Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is my first car.. NEver owned one before, but have had a few motorcycles..

Is there a trick to removing teh spark plug wires from the spark plugs? I have pretty new wires in the car, and I just ruined 2 of the wires trying to get them out..

The other two that are remaining are now ripped to hell and I can't get them out..

I jiggled to all sides trying to remove them, but they are just stuck.. Im about to just rip them apart and yank it out with pliers..

but before I go and buy new wires, then ruin my new wires, what should I do to get these fuckers off?

·
Registered
792 Posts
From my experience, make sure you grab the wire by the boot first. Then just slowly pull up while twisting at the same time. They should come loose with no problem. NEVER yank at the wires cause you'll damage them.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Step one to tricky wires is to turn the boot 180 degrees, that will break it loose from it's suroundings, then ground the top of the BOOT, never the wire, and pull it up, twisting if need be.

Pulling by the wire will generally destroy said wire.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
both of thoswe work very well...

But if your still having problems gripping the boot part... just grab some pliers and jigle it around while you pull them up.... I almost did the same thing...

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
both of thoswe work very well...

But if your still having problems gripping the boot part... just grab some pliers and jigle it around while you pull them up.... I almost did the same thing...

·
Registered
367 Posts
You'll also find that aftermarket wires tend to be crappy like that and com apart when you try to remove them. Stick with good quality units, like OE spec NGK, Sumitomo, or Magnacore. Anything that is a wire wound unit istead of the horrible graphite impregnated Carquest or Bosch pieces of shit should be okay.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Kabuki said:
You'll also find that aftermarket wires tend to be crappy like that and com apart when you try to remove them. Stick with good quality units, like OE spec NGK, Sumitomo, or Magnacore. Anything that is a wire wound unit istead of the horrible graphite impregnated Carquest or Bosch pieces of shit should be okay.

Yeh, when i first got my lude i bought some of those p.o.s. OBX wires, and the first time i pulled them off the fuckers pulled apart with verry little force. i now will only buy NGK.

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
Kabuki said:
jacob, russel and MSD make good stuff as well

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya I ruined ym plug wires lol..

The first time I got them off I only messed one up.. But then I decided to put them on to go buy new plug wires

Then wehn I got home and took them off again, I ruined every single wire lol..

Oh well, just gave me an excuse to buy all new plugs, and all new wires.. Also ran a compression test adn got 180, 160, 150, 175 :)

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
just because you pulled the wire out doesnt mean they are ruined. pull the boot up and slide the sleeve off. run the wire back in and clamp the metal at the clamp points making sure you keep the end open to slide over the spark plugs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
NEXT time make sure you a use a conductive lubricant and apply it on the tip of the plug before you put them back in. The lubricant (which can be found at ANY autoparts store in a small package) will not let the wire socket bond to the tip of the spark plug. NEXT time when you pull them off they should just slip right off just a little tougher than putting them on.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Non-conductive lubricant.
A conductive one will drain off spark power.

The stuff your after is silicon dielectric grease.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts