Honda Prelude Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay about a month ago i thought my alternator belt was squeeking. so i tightened it. but it still made the same noise. i even sprayed it. i have no ac belt or ps. then yesterday while driving my car started to hesitate. actually it felt like something was holding it back from accelerating. then i started smelling metal to metal burn. this lasted for about ten minutes then it stopped. it hasn't happened since, but it still makes that awful squeeking noise.can anyone give me a diagnoses?it's really bugging the F*** out of me!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
bearing on alternator?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Try loosening

Overtightening a belt will also cause it to squeel as well as burn up. The smell could have been the steel radial and rubber in the belt burning. Try loosening it. It should be able to move up when you tug on it, just a little.

Oh and check the belt to make sure the ridges and sides are fairly intact. You may have ruined the belt.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
check...check. i think i have an idea what it could be now. it could be my CV joint. cause there's a tear in it. it could infact be that the bearings have no more lube. this sqeeling only happens when i shift gears not when i'm parked and rev the engine. my CV boot has been torn for about 6 months now. i haven't had a chance to replace my axle because of the winter. oh and my belt is not tight as hell. there's still some play in it.

J

·
0 Posts
of, if its teh joint it may be tossing grease up there. is it a constant sound or does it only come on with the AC?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jackedup said:
of, if its teh joint it may be tossing grease up there. is it a constant sound or does it only come on with the AC?
remember i'm not running AC or PS. and the sound only happens right after i shift gears and last only a second. it's very feint but i can hear it and that's what makes it so annoying.:wzbigcry:

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
Remove the alternator belt, and start the car.
If it still squeels IMEDIATLY turn the engine off, and do NOT start it again, if it makes a squeeling noise with the car not moving and no belts on it, the timing belt is making the noise, and will snap very, very soon.

A broken timing belt almost always means $1500 in repairs.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bobnova said:
If it still squeels IMEDIATLY turn the engine off, and do NOT start it again, if it makes a squeeling noise with the car not moving and no belts on it, the timing belt is making the noise, and will snap very, very soon.

wow bobnova i think this is the first time you replied to one of my posts. anyways i'll try that later when i get home. i'll let you know how it goes.:eek:mg:

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
Bobnova said:

i was going to tell him to check his idler pully bearing.

with the belt off, if it dont make the noise, check that.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay i took off my alternator belt last knight and started it. no noise whatsoever. this is really annoying me!

·
Kickass truck missed
6,583 Posts
eludethis said:
okay i took off my alternator belt last knight and started it. no noise whatsoever. this is really annoying me!
shouldn't.. thats good.

far better then if the belts were off and it was still making the noise.

that would be bad.

·
New title is new
9,436 Posts
My AC compressor's idler bearing died and made all kinds of nasty noises, i got a belt for a non-ac car (not that there were any non-ac 3g's that i know of, but there is a belt listed), which fit just the alternator and tensioner.

With the belt off, spin the tensioner pulley, alternator, and AC compressor by hand.
Feel for any notchyness, listen for any noise.

A bearing is either perfect, or bad, there isn't any middle ground.
If it isn't perfectly smooth and perfectly silent it's dead.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bobnova said:
My AC compressor's idler bearing died and made all kinds of nasty noises, i got a belt for a non-ac car (not that there were any non-ac 3g's that i know of, but there is a belt listed), which fit just the alternator and tensioner.

With the belt off, spin the tensioner pulley, alternator, and AC compressor by hand.
Feel for any notchyness, listen for any noise.

i will try that this weekend. sounds like this may solve my prob. i'll let you know monday what comes about.

·
Preludepower Member
2,656 Posts
Bobnova said:

Thanks.
My alternator makes that squeeling sound too.
It's confirmed through 2 mechanics and my, "screwdriver listen" test...lol...

Accord alternator time hehehe...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i smell an ac compressor or an alternator bearing

·
Registered
258 Posts
eludethis said:
check...check. i think i have an idea what it could be now. it could be my CV joint. cause there's a tear in it. it could infact be that the bearings have no more lube. this sqeeling only happens when i shift gears not when i'm parked and rev the engine. my CV boot has been torn for about 6 months now. i haven't had a chance to replace my axle because of the winter. oh and my belt is not tight as hell. there's still some play in it.
>>wait I though your CV boot was ripped and the bearings were dry.

·
Registered
48 Posts
hi, I'm a newbe to the prelude world. I have just decided to pickup a 89 2.0s and it has the same problem. I'm getting the car from a friend who has not driven it in over a year and says he has replaced the alternator and power stering pump. I noticed if I turn the compressor on the belt sqeeks right away. but is also periodically squeeks with the compressor off. it's almost like the compressor comes on from time to time even if you have it switched off. is this possible or is it just the compressor pully locking up?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts